This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

mount hard drive

Hi. Just installed Kubuntu 7.10. I'm seeing that a few people seem to have the same problem. The drives don't mount. After a reinstall one will mount. One I added after the install won't mount. It showes the drive but I can't access it. Is someone working on a fix for this? Is there a workaround?

Tnx,
    Jess

Re: mount hard drive

Hard drive as in internal IDE or SATA drive?

If so, please list your drives and the corresponding channels they are attached to (e.g. 80 GB drive on ATA channel 1, master; 80 GB drive on SATA channel 4...).
    Also post the contents of /etc/fstab and ATTACH the output of "lshw" (open Konsole, execute "lshw").
    For external use only.

Comment

Open a konsole shell. Type:
      Code:
      pg /etc/fstab
      Copy and paste into your reply.

In the konsole shell, type:
      Code:
      lshw
      Copy and paste into your reply.
      Windows no longer obstructs my view.
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by jess
        Hi. Just installed Kubuntu 7.10. I'm seeing that a few people seem to have the same problem. The drives don't mount. After a reinstall one will mount. One I added after the install won't mount. It showes the drive but I can't access it. Is someone working on a fix for this? Is there a workaround?

Tnx,
        Jess
        You should be able to mount the drive using "K Menu" > System settings

Click Advanced

Click Disk & Filesystems

Do you see the disk devices?

Click the Administrator button and log in, if needed

Select the partition to mount - if it has a mount point but it's not valid or working, right click and DELETE

Make a note of the device name

Click NEW

For the MOUNT POINT select the directory for the mount point. For simple networking around the house you might find it more convenient to set it up in the /home folder.

Set the rest of the configure options and click OK

Worked for me after struggling with it as you are now.

Cheers

Comment

Don't use the Disk & Filesystems thing, it's terribly broken.
          And GUIGuy, could you please remove all those extra newlines at the end of your post? They're very obnoxious.

Anyway, I don't see any SATA drives in lshw, and only one IDE drive (your CD drive). Probably just me not knowing how to read it, though.
          On /etc/fstab, you mistyped the command, it's "pg /etc/fstab", with a space after "pg". You might want to copy and paste it into the terminal (right-click, don't hit Ctrl+V).
          For external use only.

Comment

Originally posted by SheeEttin
            Don't use the Disk & Filesystems thing, it's terribly broken.
            Worked for me.

And GUIGuy, could you please remove all those extra newlines at the end of your post? They're very obnoxious.
            Obnoxious things should be removed if possible. If not, just ignore them ;-)

Comment

I'll assume you figured this out, but in case not ...

You were typing pg/etc/fstab and receiving the error bash: pg/etc/fstab: No such file or directory That's because you did not put a space between the command ( pg ) and the file location ( /etc/fstab ). The command should have been typed as:

pg /etc/fstab (note the space after 'pg')

Welcome to linux!
              Windows no longer obstructs my view.
              Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
              "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by jess
                Hey GUIguy:
                That worked thanks a lot. I wish only people that knew the answer would post.
                Hey, I'm the GUIGuy and I hate that shell/ command line thingie (only kidding). But after years of moving her indoors onto KDE I've learnt that we don't want to wade through hundreds of lines of indecipherable geekspeek. We just want (expect) it to work!

We're almost there.

Comment

Working...
                X