This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gutsy - Change Default App

Just upgraded from Feisty. All appears to be working after a few errors.

I'm trying to change a default application as I want to use Deluge as the default bittorrent client in lieu of KTorrent. This is what should work (what I've done) but it doesn't work:

1) Open kcontrol
    2) Select KDE Components / File Associations
    3) Enter torrent in find pattern box
    4) Application x-bittorrent appears
    5) I remove Ktorrent and add Deluge
    6) Click Apply

Oops not working, I then remove kTorrent from system and reboot.

When I download a torrent, it tells me to change preferences. Duh...
    Am I missing something here as I check file associations again and only Deluge is there.

Re: Gutsy - Change Default App

I love Kubuntu and wonder why I only get seen to get solutions to a post at the Ubuntu forum; somewhat sad as this is my first point of stop.

The problem has been resolved.
    It was caused by Firefox not recognising the preference change.

Post from Maestro23 in Ubuntu:
    Are you clicking on the torrent in Firefox? If so, tell FF that you want to use Deluge as the default torrent client. Edit>> Prefs>> Content>> File Types

My answer and the solution:
    Thanks for the reply. I'm using SwiftFox but that shouldn't matter as it's the same.
    It was there showing that it should open with the default app, deluge but it wasn't working. I deleted it and told it to open using a specific app (2nd radio button), /usr/bin/deluge. It is now working.

Try deluge! It is far superior to KTorrent with control over downloading individual files and has plugins that give it the power of Azureus (my least favourite as it can be a dog, ram hog, prima donna as to which java, etc) or my favourite, uTorrent.

Comment

Working...
    X