This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

usb drive suddenly decides to become read-only

This problem has happened several times so far. I will be using my usb drive on kubuntu and windows xp quite happily--but then for no obvious reason it will enter a read-only state, and my attempts at using chown and chmod are to no avail. To date my solution has been to reformat the drive, but it goes without saying that this is not ideal. Any suggestions?

Re: usb drive suddenly decides to become read-only

What is the drive formatted as, ext3 or Windoze XP's ntfs? If the later, you need to install the package ntfs-3g to be able to have read/write access to ntfs file systems.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

The drive is formatted as fat32. My understanding is that fat32 is compatible with both windows xp and linux. Is this correct? Or should I format the drive in some other way?

Comment

No, you are correct. fat32 file systems are useable by both Windoze and Linux. Why you randomly loosing write capability to the drive is odd. I guess you can chalk it up to another Gutsy issue??
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Working...
        X