This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Installing Firefox with Adept

I'd love to try Konqueror, because it seems like a fine browser, but I want flash. So off to Adept I go, but when I search for Firefox, the only Firefox browser that is listed is:

Firefox Web Browser

lightweight web browser based on Mozilla
    Firefox is a redesign of the Mozilla browser component, similar to Galeon, K-Meleon and Camino, but written using the XUL user interface language and designed to be lightweight and cross-platform.
    This browser was previously known as Firebird and Phoenix.
    This is a build of a random development version (aka trunk). It is ment for preview and not for production use.
    Preview only? Random build? Sounds like it's an unstable beta. All the other packages are just extensions, plugins or themes.

So I install this? Would this be 2.0.0.8? Would it keep me updates?

I was tempted to install the "Stumbleupon Toolbar" for Firefox just to see what package it installs as a dependence. Maybe it would install a good version of Firefox itself?

Should I go ahead and install this one, or not? That description worries me. I don't want to be cutting edge these days. I want a little stability for the time being.
    Jester's Ring

Re: Installing Firefox with Adept

The one i installed via Adept a couple of days ago is version 2.0.0.6.

Comment

Preview only? Random build? Sounds like it's an unstable beta. All the other packages are just extensions, plugins or themes.

So I install this? Would this be 2.0.0.8? Would it keep me updates?
      There are two versions:

Firefox 2.0.0.6 (firefox update : Help > Check for Updates or Edit > Preferences > Advanced > | Update | > Automatically ... Are these working in the repo version ? My firefox is from firefox home)

Firefox-3.0 (This is alpha for new firefox, alpha8)

They have same description text .
      Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
      1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
      2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

Originally posted by Rog131

There are two versions:

Firefox 2.0.0.6 (You could update this to the 2.0.0.8 by firefox update: Help > Check for Updates or Edit > Preferences > Advanced > | Update | > Automatically ...)

Firefox-3.0 (This is alpha for new firefox, alpha8)

They have same description text .
        The: Help-> Check for Updates and: Preferences-> Advanced-> Check for Updates are both greyed-out on this install.... but it will Check for Addons.

Comment

The: Help-> Check for Updates and: Preferences-> Advanced-> Check for Updates are both greyed-out on this install.... but it will Check for Addons.
          Wondering, why they are disabled ?

About konqueror

I'd love to try Konqueror, because it seems like a fine browser, but I want flash
          Do you have konqueror-nsplugins ?
          Netscape plugin support for Konqueror
          This package includes support for Netscape plugins in Konqueror.

This package is part of KDE, and a component of the KDE base module.
          See the 'kde' and 'kdebase' packages for more information.
          Topic: Install Falsh player in konqueror borwser
          http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3086654.0
          Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
          1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
          2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

See my Reply #3 & #5 here:
            http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3087637.0

or, keep it simple, and . . .

Short version: get it through ubuntuzilla:
            Firefox (latest), Thunderbird (latest): http://ubuntuzilla.wiki.sourceforge.net/
            (read what they say there)
            An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

In gutsy konqueror automatically prompted me to install flash as soon as I went to a site that used it (pop up window asked do you want to install flash, I clicked yes, done). No need to do anything myself.

Comment

Originally posted by Qqmike
                See my Reply #3 & #5 here:
                http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3087637.0

or, keep it simple, and . . .

Short version: get it through ubuntuzilla:
                Firefox (latest), Thunderbird (latest): http://ubuntuzilla.wiki.sourceforge.net/
                (read what they say there)
                Thank's for that link, it went like a piece of cake ... although 2.0.0.8 doesn't look much different to 2.0.0.6....

The updating options are still greyed-out in Firefox, but i said "Yes" to the option with the installer....

Comment

Thanks everyone,

Originally posted by Rog131
                  I'd love to try Konqueror, because it seems like a fine browser, but I want flash
                  Do you have konqueror-nsplugins ?
                  No, and it's not in Adept. I have the universe and multiverse repositories. Odd. Should it be right there?
                  Jester's Ring

Comment

aged hippy: "Thank's for that link, it went like a piece of cake ... although 2.0.0.8 doesn't look much different to 2.0.0.6....
                    The updating options are still greyed-out in Firefox, but i said "Yes" to the option with the installer...."

Then you WILL get periodic notices on any updates. They will come when you are in FX.

BTW, since you did this, a note about Thunderbird:
                    If you click on links sent to you in T-Bird emails and they don't work (ie, they don't take you to the web site), then fix this using the fix on the FAQ of the ubuntuzilla website -- also very easy.

It's in the sidebar to the right, on the main ubuntuzilla page:
                    http://ubuntuzilla.wiki.sourceforge.net/#tochome22
                    An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Thanks for that tip Qqmike, but it seems to have been fixed, it does it automatically since i upgraded to 7.10.

Comment

OK, good!

Comment

and, aged hippy mentioned : "Thank's for that link, it went like a piece of cake ... although 2.0.0.8 doesn't look much different to 2.0.0.6..."

Yeah, but 2.5 will be different from 2.0.0.6 (when that takes place in the near future).

Comment

Working...
                          X