This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Apparent Firefox glitches....

I'm getting occasional glitches, on four or five occasions Firefox has disappeared instantly, no previous hang or apparent slowdown, etc., but - to be fair - when i restart it, it politely asks if i would like to resume my previous session which ended unexpectedly.

On three occasions when clicking a link in a webpage the result has been a black screen then the log-in screen.

On two occasions (while Firefox was running) i've experienced a completely locked system - no sound, no mouse movement, no keyboard input.

I use NoScript with Firefox, does anyone know if there are any problems with this add-on?

Any suggestions or guidance will be greatly appreciated.

Re: Apparent Firefox glitches....

I have seen some stuff about noscript. Can't remember where. Why not just uninstall that extension and see what happens? Since I have no issues with FF I can't really help you more. Sometimes some extensions do weird stuff.

Sorry can't be of more help
    HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
    4 GB Ram
    Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

I was wondering whether to disable it - but i do enjoy being able to read webpages without all the adverts and rubbish that seems to be splattered all over the place now-a-days.

Thank you for that - i'll disable it and see if things improve. The problems do seem to have only appeared after i installed it - which was when i installed 7.10 and Ff .. so i'll give it a try.

Comment

I've used NoScript for 2 years -- no problems. It comes recommended as one of the few safety/privacy measures for K/Ubuntu Linux (eg @ psychocats). On some pages, things, as you noted, don't move or work or show. In that case, if you trust the site, do a "temporarily allow this web page" click on the NoScript icon (lower right). In fact, I have to do that to get THIS site (kubuntuforums) to work the way I want it to.
        An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Hi,

I don't use "noscript" and I'm seeing some strange things with Firefox. Before upgrade everything was fine including use of plugins. Now, when I click a link it takes awhile (almost 10 seconds) before it loads the page, I run compiz and what happens is the page will dim then after 10 or more seconds it then will spring back to life and render the page. This happens with or without compiz running. Also when I go to gmail to check mail, the same thing happens. It's almost like it's thinking about what it should render.
          Even when I click on the "x" to close it, it sits there for 10-15 seconds then just closes and thats with only one tab open. Very strange. I am going to try another browser to see if the same thing happens.

Comment

Okay this may seem radical but. uninstall FF completely using adept / synaptic. Then delete the /home/yourusername/.mozilla/firefox file.
            .mozilla is hidden so you will have to unhide it in "view"->show hidden files.

Reinstall FF and see how it behaves without plugins first. The install them one at a time and see what happens
            HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
            4 GB Ram
            Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

ppberns,
              Yes, it's only since i upgraded, so i'm thinking that it's probably an issue with Ff, another thing i've noticed is that i can now use the 1280 x 1024 resolution (thank you, devs ), but the menu fonts in Firefox and Thunderbird don't seem to be changable - they're so small as to be almost useless, so i'm still using 1024 x 768 - it's not a problem, but....

Fintan,
              Thanks for the suggestion - i installed and re-installed it three (or four) times to get the Bookmarks toolbar to display the bookmarks....
              I'll try your suggestion tonight.

Qqmike,
              What it may pay me to do is to follow your suggestion here: http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3087028.0

It's quite possibly a problem with my set-up, i'm not blaming Ff or Kubuntu 7.10, and - lets face it - these aren't major problems.

Comment

Hi,

Yep definately (at least for me) an issue with FF. I tried Opera, Konqueror, Ephiphany and they all worked as expected without any hesitation or rendering issues.
                I should have mentioned earlier that this is with the 64bit version on AMD64. Reinstalling is not an option right now but I will try to eliminate all the plugins.
                Will post if I find anything.

Comment

a few times, Linux did a "log off" while using firefox. not sure if it's a firefox issue, a me hitting some keys while typing.. just weird .. and i'm using firefox a lot, so might be totally unrelated.

Comment

Well I downloaded and installed firefox 3.0 alpha and things work a whole lot better. I am not seeing any hangs or delays with rendering. It works fine with compiz.
                    The only thing is, that it's not ready for prime time and none of the extensions work with it. Which reminds me, I did remove all of my extensions on firefox 2.0.0.6 and I was having the same issues. Just an update for those who are following along.........

Comment

I've just updated to 2.0.0.8, i'll see how things go tonight and tomorrow - what it may be is that i do tend to have lots of tabbed pages much of the time.... having just emigrated from a 28k dial-up that'll be a habit that's hard to break.

Comment

That link, again, is:

Firefox (latest), Thunderbird (latest): http://ubuntuzilla.wiki.sourceforge.net/
                        (& Seamonkey)

Makes FX & T-Bird a walk in the park.
                        (I think I recall the official Firefox abbrev is FX . . . )
                        An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

From Wikipedia:
                          Firefox, officially abbreviated as Fx or fx and popularly abbreviated FF...
                          For external use only.

Comment

Yes, quite a small controversy about it, huh?
                            E.g., http://www.iwdn.net/archive/index.php/t-1317.html
                            and those writers use it as Fx, not as FX.

Some time ago, somewhere on the Firefox site, I saw this mentioned as a joking aside -- to be sure to use FX (as I recall, not Fx, but certainly not FF!).

Comment

Working...
                            X