This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dolphin error on close [SOLVED]

Unable to save bookmarks in /home/jbaerbock/.kde/share/apps/d3lphin/bookmarks.xml. Reported error was: Permission denied. This error message will only be shown once. The cause of the error needs to be fixed as quickly as possible, which is most likely a full hard drive.

That is the error I now get after I ran ntfs-config in order to fix my ntfs problems. Konq does not show any errors however and I have 13GB of space free.

Re: Dolphin error on close

Navigate to the file and hover your mouse over the file. Are you listed as the Owner?
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Yup permissions say I am the owner.

Good grief why did they release such a buggy linux? I have had sooo many problems already.

Comment

Do the Permissions display as -rw-r--r-- ?

Comment

Well what I am trying to look at is my home folder, works fine but when i close it gave me that error in dolphin. My username has all permissions, read, write, whaknot else.

Comment

The bookmarks.xml the error refers to is permissions set to root. I ran a sudo dolphin and changed them but for some reason it did not save the setting.

Comment

If it's truly an ownership issue, open a konsole and type:
              Code:
              sudo chown jbaerbock:jbaerbock /home/jbaerbock/.kde/share/apps/d3lphin/bookmarks.xml
              This will change the ownership and group to your user account for the file.

Comment

Awesome thanks. My question is why did it not work when I used the GUI under sudo to change the permissions, settings did not stick.

Comment

Originally posted by jbaerbock
                  ...why did it not work when I used the GUI under sudo ...
                  That, as they say, is the $64,000.00 question. It just seems that not all of the GUI utilities work as one expects they should.

Comment

Re: Dolphin error on close [SOLVED]

I think in general Gutsy isn't working as everyone expected it should lol. Seriously, lots of bugs here.

Comment

It is known problem:

Bug #136458 in dolphin
                      dolphin not able to save bookmarks after using "open as root" option
                      https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...in/+bug/136458

Affects Status Importance Assigned to
                      dolphin (Ubuntu) Confirmed Undecided
                      >

Snowhog told how to fix it, BUT next time you use "open as root":
                      Unable to save bookmarks in /home/USER/.kde/share/apps/d3lphin/bookmarks.xml. Reported error was: Permission denied. This error message will only be shown once. The cause of the error needs to be fixed as quickly as possible, which is most likely a full hard drive.
                      Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
                      1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
                      2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

Funny thing is I wasn't even trying to save a bookmark, just browsed in my folders then hit x. Yeah im going back to Mint.

Comment

Or Konqueror:

Topic: How to change konqueror back to default file manager in 7.10
                          http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3087520.0
                          Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
                          1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
                          2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog
                            If it's truly an ownership issue, open a konsole and type:
                            Code:
                            sudo chown jbaerbock:jbaerbock /home/jbaerbock/.kde/share/apps/d3lphin/bookmarks.xml
                            This will change the ownership and group to your user account for the file.
                            Thanks, Snowhog. I've had this needling little aggravation since I upgraded to Gutsy. Never bothered trying to fix it until I noticed your post.

Cheers

Lowey
                            I wish I was the man my dog thinks I am.<br /><br />Registered Linux User No. 402825

Comment

Glad to have been of some assistance.

Comment

Working...
                              X