This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Compiz doesn't make a cube, it's makes a plane

I installed Compiz fusion with the plugins for KDE today. When I went to turn the cube around however, it only became a flat plane, like a peice of paper! Apparently I only had two workspaces, though in the taskbar it was showing four. I went into the Compiz options and bumped up the number of workspaces to four, which made the number in the taskbar eight! And I still didn't have a cube.

So I went into System Settings and made the number of workspaces one there, so at least I would have only four in the taskbar. But, it gave me a weird number of desktops, like six. So I've set everything back to default. I really like the cube, could you help me fix it? It worked fine in Feisty (though there I installed Compiz Fusion initially in Gnome Ubuntu and changed it to Kubuntu later).

Also, when I first started up Compiz, I had an OpenOffice.org Writer program running. However, once Compiz booted, the titlebar and frame went away and it became fullscreen. I can't move it around or anything, and when I try to move it in Expo, the wobbly effect doesn't do anything to it. I don't think it's being recognized as a window or something. Also, when I click on File or Edit or something, the screen turns black except for the menu for a second, then it becomes normal again, except I have no time to actually do anything with the dropdown menu. So, Writer, though technically usable, has become little more than Kate. I've had to resort to Thinkfree for a report I have to do in the meantime. Anyone know how to fix this?

Thanks in advance, Sixside.

Re: Compiz doesn't make a cube, it's makes a plane

As far as the cube goes, check out this link.

With the OOo issue, I've had the same problem; the only solution I can give you is that Compiz-fusion is still in it's development stage and you are essentially running a beta version (sort of). As such, there are bugs that need fixing and the *buntu dev team is working hard to resolve them. Patience is the key with Compiz, and all other software.
    Asus G1S-X3:
    Intel Core2 Duo T7500, Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT, 4Gb PC2-5300, 320Gb Hitachi 7k320, Linux ( )

Comment

I have had the same issues as you have.

I switched from Open Office to Abi Word. \

I am still working on the cube issue.

Comment

. . . once Compiz booted, the titlebar and frame went away and it became fullscreen.
        I found a fix for this; click the "workarounds" plugin and uncheck the "legacy fullscreen support" option. That fixed it for me, and should for you too.

As far as the cube goes, set your number of desktops to one, open Compiz' settings and click the "General Options" button. Then, select the "Desktop Size" tab, and change the "Horizontal Virtual Size" option to the number of desktops you want, making sure to leave all the other options to one. You should then have your cube!
        Asus G1S-X3:
        Intel Core2 Duo T7500, Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT, 4Gb PC2-5300, 320Gb Hitachi 7k320, Linux ( )

Comment

Yes the unchecking of the "legacy full screen support" option in the workaround section of the Advanced Desktop Settings did the job in fixing the menu issue in OpenOffice.

Thanks.

Dave

Comment

No problem, all the credit goes to this post.
            Asus G1S-X3:

Comment

Originally posted by integr8e
              . . . once Compiz booted, the titlebar and frame went away and it became fullscreen.
              I found a fix for this; click the "workarounds" plugin and uncheck the "legacy fullscreen support" option. That fixed it for me, and should for you too.
              Thanks! Been looking for that fix!!

Comment

Two other helpful fixes I found pertain to SuperKaramba.

1) to keep CF from minimizing SuperKaramba apps, open CompizConfig Settings Manager (Advanced Desktop Effects Settings), click the "General Options" button, and uncheck the "Hide Skip Taskbar Windows" option under the "General" tab.

2) to put SuperKaramba apps on all your virtual desktops, click the "Workarounds" button and check the 'Make "on all desktops" windows "sticky"' option.
                Asus G1S-X3:

Comment

Hi,

I'm interested in the workaround to get superkaramba applets on all desktop, but even by the trick you gave it's not working. It's the only thing I changed in my conf, are you sure, it's working ?

Thanks

Comment

2) to put SuperKaramba apps on all your virtual desktops, click the "Workarounds" button and check the 'Make "on all desktops" windows "sticky"' option.
                    I can say that it worked for me, but I also did the one for the Open Office Problem. Not saying the two are tied together, but who knows.

Comment

And you had to log out and in again ?
                      I've just tried to uncheck legacy but still no joy. Do I have to do something specific in superkaramba ? If I can't get it working nevermind, it's still cool like this

Comment

No, the change took as soon as I set it. I did use "Advanced Desktop Effects Settings" to set this. Also, I can say that I set it back to the way it was because having the Superkaramba widget only on DT1 made it easier to figure out where I was on the cube.

Comment

Working...
                        X