• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

execute firefox

I've downloaded and extracted firefox to ~/firefox

now what?

thanks for your help
    "Lisa, you don't spend ten years as a homicidal maniac without learning something about dynamite."

Re: execute firefox

Errrrrr .... Open KMenu>System>Adept Manager, scroll down the list of packages to firefox, put an "x" in the box, and click the "Apply" button at the top of the window. It will be installed for you.

You will find the Firefox icon under KMenu>Internet. If you would like an icon on your desktop, just right-click the one on the menu and choose "Add Item to Desktop".

Later, you can send the one you downloaded to the trash can. You will fare better using the packaged applications in the repos whenever possible.

Same goes for Google Earth, but you'll need to add the Medibuntu repo for that and the non-free codecs. Use this link, click the "Repository How-To" tab, then open your console window and paste in the two commands given for your 7.10 version.

http://www.medibuntu.org/

Comment

Sorry, but I just have to ask: You didn't tag Firefox for installation in Adept Manager why?
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Best way to get *the latest version of FX* is:
        Firefox (latest), Thunderbird (latest), SeaMonkey (latest): http://ubuntuzilla.wiki.sourceforge.net/
        Leading Linux authors have written the scripts for you and it's all here to click and go.
        You will also get notices of updates -- you will not get this through Adept.
        An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

'sudo apt-get install firefox' works just fine, but the debian version doesn't behave the way I want it to.

I appreciate you trying to make it as easy as possible for me!

But can anyone answer my original question?

I've downloaded and extracted firefox to ~/firefox

now what?

thanks for your help
          "Lisa, you don't spend ten years as a homicidal maniac without learning something about dynamite."

Comment

I'm with ya here sideshow. I don't have a direct answer just this minute, but related, have a look at this:
            http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3087028.0
            I'm not sure this is exactly your situation.
            See my comments under that post--Reply #10.
            An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Working...
            X