This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Dont Use Restricted Manager!!!

Why would you suggest Envy is the hardest way to install the needed driver? It not only installs the driver, but also the dependencies, and configures xorg.conf to use the driver for you (very helpful for users unfamiliar with how to configure xorg.conf). After using Envy, there are only a few commands you need to run to finish the installation (which you would have to run using the Restricted Manager anyway). It's really very simple and user-friendly. I've read many posts about users experiencing issues with the Restricted Manager, who have had to use Envy to correct their problems. There are very few who have problems with Envy, and those are usually corrected easily (just look at the beginning of this thread ).
    Asus G1S-X3:
    Intel Core2 Duo T7500, Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT, 4Gb PC2-5300, 320Gb Hitachi 7k320, Linux ( )

Comment

Envy is not the EASIEST way for everybody! This is what bothers me. If it was that simple, everyone would do it. There wouldn't be other ways.

I tried this program but I got a msg back that all these packages (i.e. dependencies) are not installed.

Now, I have something broken. I tried to find it with a filter in synaptic to no avail. Can anyone tell me how?

Comment

Originally posted by kbunt

I tried this program but I got a msg back that all these packages (i.e. dependencies) are not installed.
        This is an error message that a much earlier version of Envy used to give. Are you sure you are installing the current version -- envy_0.9.8-0ubuntu8_all.deb? If not, go get it here: http://albertomilone.com/nvidia_scripts1.html

I'm a little amused at the use of "hard" and "easy" in the context of this particular thread -- doesn't quite seem to fit the problems.

YES, if Restricted Manager and/or the packaged drivers "just worked" for everyone, we would have our easy solution in hand. But if that were the case, there wouldn't be a thread here, would there? Why would somewrite write a post that says "help my video is broke" if RM took care of business for them?

Envy is not necessarily a perfect solution for every case, but think about it for 2 seconds -- why is there Envy, and why is it the first download that people get after a new *buntu install?

Comment

Working...
        X