This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dont Use Restricted Manager!!!

I knew this new manager was trouble but i decided to check it out. I installed it and everything went fine but now i want to install nvidia-settings and it wants to remove nvidia-glx-new. The reason?
    " trying to overwrite `/usr/bin/nvidia-settings', which is also in package nvidia-glx-new"

I can use Envy but i just got capped and dont want to wait another hour just to get the whole thing again. Anybody know away to fix this?
    Kubuntu Gutsy Gibbon - Registered Linux User--> # 15709

Re: Dont Use Restricted Manager!!!

RM was acting just like that in Gutsy Tribe 5, wrt to substituting/forcing "nvidia-glx" after I selected "nvidia-glx-new" for installation, so I used Envy and have been ignoring RM ever since. I suspect it is still buggy.

Sorry.

Comment

Uhm...so...

I used the restricted manager at my friend and these s*cks default "nvidia-glx";"nvidia-glx-new" packages, with remove, install and so on. Not helped. They are just a bit outdated.

I using the manual way (not ENVY) to install an nvidia card.

1. sudo apt-get install build-essential
      2. go to nvidia.com then download a driver
      3. sh nv1001419.run
      4 install, nvxconf, then it runs very good...

Comment

I used RM on a couple of machines and it worked OK. The is with ATI video, Broadcom NICs, and a funky modem. For noobs, I recommend they try it first and if it doesn't work, then go manual. Watch the FUD. It generally has a much longer lifespan than the actual problem. These tools are there to make things easier for the less experienced.

Comment

Yes the installer is perfect if you dont install nvidia-settings. Well i waited an hour and got Envy running so every things ok now.
          Kubuntu Gutsy Gibbon - Registered Linux User--> # 15709

Comment

Restricted manager worked fine for me. I installed Gutsy, logged in, clicked the icon, let it do it's thing, logged out, restarted X. No problems. I've got an Nvidia 7970something card.

Comment

nvidia-settings is part of the nvidia-gxl and nvidia-glx-new packages.. it has been that way since Edgy I believe. I used the Restricted Manager to install the nvidia drivers (it chose nvidia-glx-new) and all went well. Running "sudo nvidia-settings" works fine.

Comment

The restricted manager doesn't even launch on my system settings. So I installed nvidia-glx manually. I first installed the (glx-new package, because the descriptions are far from descriptive, then learned that my card needs the older one). BTW, nvidia-settings IS included in the glx package, that's why it doesn't want to install it separately. I actually realised it just now, it seemed odd also to me that it wouldn't install the separate package as I used Adept which doesn't tell what's wrong in that case.
                AMD Sempron 2800 | 1 GB | Geforce 4 Ti 4200 | Kubuntu 8.04

Comment

As dibl said, I would just use Envy; it's the easiest route I know of to install the Nvidia and ATI proprietary drivers and their dependencies.
                  Asus G1S-X3:
                  Intel Core2 Duo T7500, Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT, 4Gb PC2-5300, 320Gb Hitachi 7k320, Linux ( )

Comment

My own 'newbie' experience: After upgrading to Gutsy from Feisty, every time I logged into KDE this message showed up: Restricted Manager " trying to overwrite failed... blah blah...". And a few minutes later my desktop would freeze, the mouse and keyboard completely dead, had to cut power to restart about five times. Then, I downloaded Gutsy CD and was just about to reinstall from scratch when I decided to uninstall Restricted Manager. Problem gone! No more freeze... Who figures? I guess it's not hard to install restricted software manually.

Catemu

Comment

Originally posted by integr8e
                      As dibl said, I would just use Envy; it's the easiest route I know of to install the Nvidia and ATI proprietary drivers and their dependencies.
                      IF envy is so good, then why wasn't it chosen as default installer for such things I wonder..

cheers
                      nl

Comment

RM used to ATI drivers for me, and turned them off with ease.. two or three times. I couldn't hibernate with the ATI drivers, so I just reverted back to default nothing's. I then gave up, and moved back to 7.04.. and couldn't be happier.

Comment

Originally posted by catemu
                          My own 'newbie' experience: After upgrading to Gutsy from Feisty, every time I logged into KDE this message showed up: Restricted Manager " trying to overwrite failed... blah blah...". And a few minutes later my desktop would freeze, the mouse and keyboard completely dead, had to cut power to restart about five times. Then, I downloaded Gutsy CD and was just about to reinstall from scratch when I decided to uninstall Restricted Manager. Problem gone! No more freeze... Who figures? I guess it's not hard to install restricted software manually.

Catemu
                          I had no such issues at all...im betting yours is due to having upgraded from one OS to another..it doesn't always work very well

THe one poster is right we need to watch the 'fud'

Linux isn't here to make it fun or egomaniacal for l33tersn , its to help everyone including grandma and suzi homeaker enjoy the spirit of OSS RM looks native whereas to me anyway ENVY looks like an afterthought, much as system-settings does and I dont particularly like either but thats me.

I must admit I dont llike the language of the RM as imo calling it 'restricteed' is a violation of my rights to use a given product. I am fully aware that its not OSS but that doesn't automatically make it bad. I have used nvidia software in windows for years now and I dont ever recall having problems of any kind so honestly I find this whole debate mud slinging at companies just because they aren't doing what you expect them to do. Its like the whole USE OGG debate..well its not possible because until vendors worldwide accept it it wont happen so thats why flash is out there and there's not much we can do but petition companies. I for one am glad we have various packages for linux and it doesn't bother me much that its not OSS. YMMV but honestly im just appreciative of nvidia for giving us drivers at all considering our low market share numbers until here lately( dell), - so im all good with it. I dont know where this 'expect' mentality comes from but like gnome dumbifying things just to KISS I find it a disease and Im very glad Im not infected

cheers
                          nl

Comment

Dudes, Envy now works with ubuntu & kubuntu to install your driver. just use it. It is the easier way to do it. I just finish installing my nvidia driver. and it boots flawlessly. :P
                            You can get me Using Threema: B6WSCFVY
                            Mastodon: @pookito@latinos.social
                            Jabber: pookito@neko.im

Comment

Originally posted by pookito
                              Dudes, Envy now works with ubuntu & kubuntu to install your driver. just use it. It is the easier way to do it. I just finish installing my nvidia driver. and it boots flawlessly. :P
                              Why dont you suggest that to the developers then...atm ENVY is not preinstalled , t herefore it IS the hardest way to install those drivers...RM looks native and atm is 'intergrated' whereas ENVY is not.

my 2c's

cheers
                              nl

Comment

Working...
                              X