This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Video playback problems

I have 2 separate problems, though they may be related.
    If I play ANY video file with VLC, The video playback is very choppy, and the video itself has an offset downwards.

With Kaffeine, I can play most files, but when I try to play an .avi file, I get sound but no video.

Can anyone help me with either of these?

Thanks in advance,
    Luctius
    Attached Files

Re: Video playback problems

Originally posted by Luctius
    With Kaffeine, I can play most files, but when I try to play an .avi file, I get sound but no video.
    Try going to Settings > xine Engine Parameters and selecting the xshm driver.

Comment

Although you are running Gutsy, my How to: Get commercial DVD playback in Kaffeine here will ensure that you have the necessary codecs and libraries installed. If you ensure this, and can play commerical DVDs, you should be good to go.
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I had choppy playback in VLC too after upgrade to Gutsy. Preferences > Video > Output Modules (Advanced options) > Select 'X11 video output' solved it for me.

Comment

The "How to" points to a source list for feisty, as opposed to the new gutsy.

However going to the medibuntu website https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Medibuntu has the correct instructions for gutsy.

One is to update the sources.list and the other is the pgp key.

Then I was able to get win32codecs and libdvdcss

and I was able to play dvds.

Comment

Working...
          X