This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

nvidia

Guys, since I upgraded to gutsy I can not get my nvidia card working. I try to install it through the restricted drivers screen either from gnome or kde but it would not work. I have also try Envy and still does not work. Any Ideas on how to get my card back to work? Any help would be appreciated.

pookito
    You can get me Using Threema: B6WSCFVY
    Mastodon: @pookito@latinos.social
    Jabber: pookito@neko.im

Re: nvidia

When you start up your computer (or the X server) with the nVidia proprietary driver, what happens? Do you see the nVidia logo?
    For external use only.

Comment

When the proprietary driver is install and I restart the xserver it seems to work perfectly. the screen is smoother the Icons and so far so on. The problem comes in when I reboot the OS. the xserver for some reason does not want to read the xorg.conf file. I have to manually change it back to the "nv" driver instead of the "nvidia" drivier.

Comment

I had the same problem with Nvidia drivers. I had to keep changing xorg.conf back to "nv". I finally decided to install the driver manually which I downloaded from Nvidia. It was easy and it works great.

eriefisher
        ~$sudo make me a sandwich

Comment

So eriefisher I should try to downloaded mananually, and it should work? thanks a lot. I will do that later on.

Pookito

Comment

Originally posted by eriefisher
            I had the same problem with Nvidia drivers. I had to keep changing xorg.conf back to "nv". I finally decided to install the driver manually which I downloaded from Nvidia. It was easy and it works great.eriefisher
            I was just trying to install the proprietary driver and it did not work. Can you tell me how did you do it. Josh

Comment

Originally posted by pookito

I have also try Envy and still does not work.
              Hey pookito -- what do you mean "does not work"? I'm curious to learn why folks sometimes say Envy does not work. Can you tell me where you think it failed? Did you do the modification on line 324 of the file "/usr/share/envy/instun/classes.py", as mentioned in the 29 July post here:

http://albertomilone.com/wordpress/?m=200707

?

Comment

I tend to find that installing the driver from NVidia works better than the ones in Adept etc.

If you download the package from Nvidia.com and then reboot, go to console login, log in as root, type 'telinit 3' go back to console if its started x, navigate to where you downloaded the file, then type 'sh' plus the name of the file (in my case: sh Nvidia-linux-x86_64-100.14.19-pkg2.run) and follow the prompts.

Before you do this however, make sure of the following:

for manual install remove "nvidia-kernel-common" with --purge option in adept
                then see if the file /lib/linux-restricted-modules/.nvidia_new_installed is there and then:
                sudo rm /lib/linux-restricted-modules/.nvidia_new_installed

also see if:
                * libc6-dev is installed
                * development tools like make and gcc are installed
                * the linux-headers package matching the installed Linux kernel is installed
                * the pkg-config and xserver-xorg-dev packages are installed
                * the files /etc/init.d/nvidia-glx and /etc/init.d/nvidia-kernel do not exist
                Compy: AMD 64x2 6000+, Crosshair mobo, Enermax PSU, 4GB DDR2 800, 8800GTS 640mb, 24in cheapy monitor + secondary 17in, aprrx 1.6tb storage (internal) + external DVDrw, lots of nice big blue shiny quiet fans.

Comment

Working...
                X