This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Firefox randomly crashes . . .

OK, I need some help with Firefox; my sister has been complaining about Firefox randomly crashing on her computer, so I looked at her system and made sure all the dependencies (Flash, Java, *-dev, etc.) I knew of were installed. I then opened the browser and surfed a little, with no problems. I called her to the computer and the moment she clicked the address bar to insert a URL, it crashed. She explained that it happens regularly, and at random times. Flash shouldn't be the issue - keyword "shouldn't" - because she was on the Gutsy homepage at the time of the incident, and usually surfs pages loaded with Flash images. If anybody can give me some pointers, I'd (we'd) be grateful.

Note: It may just be the computer; it's my old computer, and I hate the thing, that's why I built the one I'm on now. It's an old, el-cheapo with tons of idiosyncrasies (I think it cost about $200 retail (the computer, keyboard, mouse, and speakers, minus the monitor), no joke). I tried several different distros on it before settling with Kubuntu because I was afraid Kubuntu would run incredibly slowly, but have been very impressed with it's speed and reliability; every other distro I tried with it wound up being extremely unstable, which is funny because the others were designed for low resource systems (i.e. Xubuntu, DSL (both the stable and beta versions), and Puppy Linux).
    Asus G1S-X3:
    Intel Core2 Duo T7500, Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT, 4Gb PC2-5300, 320Gb Hitachi 7k320, Linux ( )

Re: Firefox randomly crashes . . .

You might want to try the Iceweasel version -- it is lighter and easier on those old resources.

Comment

Will do; I like the new look, it's definitely reflective of your personality
      Asus G1S-X3:
      Intel Core2 Duo T7500, Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT, 4Gb PC2-5300, 320Gb Hitachi 7k320, Linux ( )

Comment

I suppose you could try running Firefox from a terminal... hopefully that'd spit something useful out.

However, if Iceweasel works, use that. It's more or less Firefox anyway (but is known to have problems with the occasional extension).

You may also want to try out Xubuntu if you're not particularly attached to Kubuntu... it's designed with older hardware in mind. (I may put Xubuntu (or, preferable, Kubuntu) on the old (500 MHz) family PC once it's retired.)
        For external use only.

Comment

I tried Xubuntu on it once just experimenting; I decided to try Kleansweep on it to see what it would do. (Mistake!!!) I had just switched to Linux and didn't know much about what I was doing; needless to say, I had to reinstall, only for some reason, it wouldn't format from the Live CD (kept hanging). After going through several other low resource distros unsuccessfully, I chose to install Kubuntu, and it's worked well ever since. (As I stated, I didn't know much about what I was doing at the time [and still don't really, I'm always learning]; she's just gotten used to Kubuntu so I'll leave it alone)
          Asus G1S-X3:

Comment

I decided to download a new skin for firefox. After the download and installation, the browser decided to crashed everytime I am opening it. Did you check if it the browser crashed after the skin installation? because if it does maybe we both have the same problem.
            You can get me Using Threema: B6WSCFVY
            Mastodon: @pookito@latinos.social
            Jabber: pookito@neko.im

Comment

It is skinned now, but has only been for a little over a week; she's been having this problem for a while.
              Asus G1S-X3:

Comment

Working...
              X