Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has anybody gotten a screensaver to work with Gutsy?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Has anybody gotten a screensaver to work with Gutsy?

I can't seem to get any of my screensavers working with Gutsy and was wondering if anybody else was having the same problem, or, if somebody could give me with the solution to mine. I'd appreciate any info/input from anybody.
    Asus G1S-X3:
    Intel Core2 Duo T7500, Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT, 4Gb PC2-5300, 320Gb Hitachi 7k320, Linux ( )

Re: Has anybody gotten a screensaver to work with Gutsy?

Screensavers work for me with 7.10RC. Help with a solution? Sorry, not me. I was just glad there was a question I could answer at least partially answer.

Comment

Here screensavers are working fine.

Can you start them in the konsole ? If they don't start, do you get error messages ?

Screensavers (/usr/bin) :
      Code:
      :~$ ls /usr/bin | grep .kss
      => Euphoria starts:

Code:
      :~$ keuphoria.kss
      More: Animated Wallpaper in Kubuntu/ KDE (use Screensaver)?
      http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3087286.0
      Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
      1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
      2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

Originally posted by integr8e
        I can't seem to get any of my screensavers working with Gutsy and was wondering if anybody else was having the same problem, or, if somebody could give me with the solution to mine. I'd appreciate any info/input from anybody.
        If you're talking about the OpenGL screensavers (Matrix, etc..), I discovered the solution after fighting with them for two hours this morning:

Code:
        sudo apt-get install kscreensaver-xsavers xscreensaver-data
        Apparently the 3D screensaver packages that you can install via Adept don't include these pre-requisites in their package list. I'll go /bug it at launchpad.
        Specs:  Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 (@3Ghz), G.SKILL 4GB DDR2 1066, ASUS Striker II Formula MB, Asus EN9800GTX+ Dark Knight, ABS Tagan BZ800 PS, Antec 900 Case.

Comment

For a while all I could get was a blank screen; now, I can't get anything to run, period. Any ideas?

There must be a setting I need to choose I don't know about, because I'm on the 7.10rc and I couldn't get a screensaver to work on 7.04 either.
          Asus G1S-X3:
          Intel Core2 Duo T7500, Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT, 4Gb PC2-5300, 320Gb Hitachi 7k320, Linux ( )

Comment

Try Rog131's suggestion: Run "keuphoria.kss" (assuming you have that one installed) from a konsole window and tell us what errors it spits out.
            Specs:  Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 (@3Ghz), G.SKILL 4GB DDR2 1066, ASUS Striker II Formula MB, Asus EN9800GTX+ Dark Knight, ABS Tagan BZ800 PS, Antec 900 Case.

Comment

It doesn't give me any errors; a small window pops up running the euphoria screensaver. I could get that far before, I just can't get the screensavers to run on their own (they'll run when manually executed, but won't execute automatically).
              Asus G1S-X3:

Comment

Originally posted by integr8e
                It doesn't give me any errors; a small window pops up running the euphoria screensaver. I could get that far before, I just can't get the screensavers to run on their own (they'll run when manually executed, but won't execute automatically).
                Yeah, I have the same problem. All of the screensavers will run on their own when I click "Test". But they won't execute automatically when the time limit of keyboard inactivity expires. It's like there's some sort of background process running that's fooling the screensaver into thinking that the system is active.

Comment

same here it worked when I first installed but after reconfigure of video card now it does not come on automatically

Comment

I have experienced that since I installed Gutsy, but currently it is working. Weird.

Comment

I set my screensaver to blank, but it does come on after the set time. Originally installed Dapper, and have upgraded from there.
                      For external use only.

Comment

Open GL screensaver has worked on my Gutsy system since October, except I did notice over this past weekend that it had stopped -- first time I've seen that on Gutsy. After rebooting for some other reason, the screensaver is working correctly again. The screen saver itself runs for 10 or 15 minutes, then the power saving comes on and it all goes black.

Comment

I've yet to have problems. The only problem I noticed is when I have Compiz running, but those problems don't occur often.

Comment

This Screen Saver problem has been around for a long time now. If you check the bug at Launchpad it says it's been fixed. But a lot of us are still having the problem. One thing I noticed, is I only have the problem on systems running Gutsy if I upgraded to Gutsy instead of doing a fresh install. I don't have any problem with the ones that got a fresh install. However, I did find a suggestion over at Linuxquestions.org that seems to have solved the problem for me.

Open /home/user/.kde/share/config/kdesktoprc in a text editor and insert the following line in the [ScreenSaver] section:

DPMS-dependent=false

Save the file and now see if your screensaver works.

Comment

Have Flurry running under xwinwrap as my desktop wallpaper over dual screens no probs

Sorry I don't have any solutions, but I hope you sort your problem soon

JJ x
                              Compy: AMD 64x2 6000+, Crosshair mobo, Enermax PSU, 4GB DDR2 800, 8800GTS 640mb, 24in cheapy monitor + secondary 17in, aprrx 1.6tb storage (internal) + external DVDrw, lots of nice big blue shiny quiet fans.

Comment

Working...
                              X