This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KDE 4 problems

I have installed everything for KDE 4 and followed the instructions given to get it working from the link
    http://kubuntu.org/announcements/kde4-beta2.php, but all I get is very limited functionality. I can see two bubbles in the taskbar that say somthing about can't get whatever is supposed to go there (sorry, can't remember the exact phrasing). I also get the menu up in the upper left corner, but all I can get it to do is give me a clock. I read somewhere that I can still use the command line and I can, but this is very tedious. Anyone have any ideas what I may be doing wrong?

I just retried starting kde 4 up and I got an error for kdeinit4. It told me to check my installation.
    I didn't get this error yesterday.

Re: KDE 4 problems

same here... Just wait or use the sources

Comment

...so are we assuming a package problem, and that's what's causing this problem? I just installed kdebase-workspace to upgrade to the second beta, as it was breaking when I first tried upgrading, and the last I'd played with it all, was the first beta. Now it's doing what the original poster is describing, plus, I think one of my graphics cards can't support the fancy stuff, so I'm getting additional weird due to that.

Comment

I get the very same error.

It would boot when I was on 7.04 (still unusable), but I did a fresh install of 7.10 beta and now KDE4 gives me the kdeinit4 error.

Comment

simple workaround : install libstreamanalyzer0_0.5.5 instead of libstreamanalyzer0_0.5.6 which is the default one. Kdeinit should start. But it's still ugly ^^.

Comment

I tried a LiveCD with KDE 4 I got somewhere... it didn't work. No pretty things, and Kicker just had that bubble and that message (the same one greenonion can't remember).

Well, guess I'll just wait for the final release.
            For external use only.

Comment

Working...
            X