X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Resolution Problem

Hi everyone,
    I'm running the latest Kubuntu Gutsy Gibbon (version 7.10 Beta).

I have an annoying problem with it lately,every time I do a cold boot,I log in as normal,,but when I get to the desktop,the desktop is all over sized! .So I go to System Settings and then Monitor&Display and find my resolution is set at 2048x1536,NOT my normal resolution,which is 1600x1200.

To correct it,I have to go into Administrator Mode in Monitor&Display and reduce it to 1600x1200,then click Apply,then I log out,then re-start the xserver by pressing left Ctrl&Alt+Backspace and then log back in again.

I'm using the latest Nvidia drivers(nvidia-glx-new from Adept Package Manager),and I've uploaded my xorg.conf with this post for your viewing.

I hope someone can help me with this one.

Regards,
    Nightcast2000
    Attached Files

Re: Resolution Problem

You need to use the nvidia-settings utility to set your resolution, not the Monitor & Display utility.

In a Konsole window,
    Code:
    sudo nvidia-settings
    Click the tab "X Server Configuration", click "detect displays", then set resolution as you wish. You can set the refresh rate, but I advise leaving that set to "Auto".

In the lower right of the panel, click the button "Save to X Configuration File", then "x" "merge" and click "save", and you're done. Restart the X server with Ctrl-Alt-Backspace, and it should come up with whatever you said you wanted. This will be the default resolution.

Comment

I've just started experiencing a similar problem. Dibl, tried what you said, but it still does the following. At the login in screen all is well 1440X900. After logging in I get Invalid Mode from screen. Ctrl-Alt-"+" gets me back to 1440x900. NVIDIA set to 1440x900 and in xorg.conf, that should be the default as well. Happens every time. Any ideas what I can try to get 1440x900 to stick after login?

Comment

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Almost sounds like the driver and the monitor aren't agreeing between them. I think that "invalid mode" is a signal from the monitor/display.

In nvidia-settings, does it show the correct make and model of display?

You might review the xorg.conf file, and in the list of "modes" make sure that 1440 x 900 is first in sequence. If there's another mode listed ahead of it, delete that one, so 1440 x 900 is first on the list.

Comment

Hi dibl,
          I followed your advice(I had forgotten about nvidia-settings) and it seems to be sorted out now,thank you very much for the advice.

regards,
          STEVE555

Comment

Cool. Just stay away from the "Monitor & Display" -- it's more trouble than solutions. :P

Comment

Yep and Yep. Actually checked that first before I did anything else. I wonder if I "sudo dpkg --reconfigure xserver-xorg" if that would help?

Comment

I'd try it. It's always worked for me.
                For external use only.

Comment

i have had these problems in the past. my eyes aren't what they used to be, so i prefer 800 x 600 & i always have trouble keeping these set after an install. i have learned to go right to the xorg configure file & delete the entries above the one that i want to use. i have actually had problems with the "sudo dpkg --reconfigure xserver-xorg" and the "x" not starting after reboot & i don't know what to change or not to change to make it work. editing the configure file works best for me.

wayne

Comment

Yeah, dpkg.... didn't work, same problem. What I found to be the problem was that for some reason, even though it was in the last part of the resolution list, it was trying to use 640x480 @ Frequency that wasn't supported. Why it kept doing that I don't know. I removed it from XORG and it started behaving normally, at least I think normally, it appeared to go back to the first entry which is 1440x900.

Comment

Working...
                    X