X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Keyboard layout switch in KDE does not work after upgrade to Gutsy

Dear all.
    I got a problem with KDE after upgrade to Gutsy.
    I use Kxkb to switch keyboard layouts in Feisty and it worked just fine. But now it does not work.
    When I press Ctrl+Shift to switch layout to russian, icon in system tray is changed, but layout is not switched. Even thought icon displays russian layout I still type in english.
    If in terminal I directly execute "setxkbmap -model pc104 -layout ru -variant winkeys", then I can type in russian.

Also I tried to set it up using xorg.conf by specifying additional layout. But situation is the same: KKBSwitch displays correctly russian layout, but I still type in english.

How can I fix that? How can I localize the problem?

P.S. In Gnome everything works fine

Re: Keyboard layout switch in KDE does not work after upgrade to Gutsy

Many of my installed apps seemed to become broken during my upgrade; try uninstalling and reinstalling Kxkb. (doing this fixed the broken packages on my system)
    Asus G1S-X3:
    Intel Core2 Duo T7500, Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT, 4Gb PC2-5300, 320Gb Hitachi 7k320, Linux ( )

Comment

Kxkb is part of kdebase-bin package.
      I tried to reinstall it by:
      Code:
      sudo apt-get --reistall install kdebase-bin
      but no effect.
      Moreover, IMHO problem is somewhere deeper. Because second way of switching layouts(using Xorg) does not work ether.

P.S. Should I submit bug at Launchpad?

Comment

I'm not sure, I'll try to draw attention to this thread, maybe somebody with more authority than me can give you a more definitive answer.

Edit: I just don't want the launchpad team to have to do extra work trying to fix a bug that doesn't exist; they have enough stuff to do already. There may be a new method to switch layouts in Gutsy.
        Asus G1S-X3:
        Intel Core2 Duo T7500, Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT, 4Gb PC2-5300, 320Gb Hitachi 7k320, Linux ( )

Comment

Originally posted by integr8e
          I'm not sure, I'll try to draw attention to this thread, maybe somebody with more authority than me can give you a more definitive answer.

Edit: I just don't want the launchpad team to have to do extra work trying to fix a bug that doesn't exist; they have enough stuff to do already. There may be a new method to switch layouts in Gutsy.
          Thanks for your help..
          I also don't want to create new (maybe nonexistent) bug... So I need more help on how to find out the exact reason, or exact possible buggy (or misconfigured) part of SW.
          I am not newbie in Linux, so I've already tried several ways to fix it, but failed. That's why I need "definitive answer" as you mentioned.

Comment

Originally posted by kokachev
            Dear all.
            I got a problem with KDE after upgrade to Gutsy.
            I use Kxkb to switch keyboard layouts in Feisty and it worked just fine. But now it does not work.
            When I press Ctrl+Shift to
            I am doing English/Russian Keyboard switching in Gutsy Tribe 5 and it works fine. I use (what appears to be) the default "cntrl-alt-k" to switch back and forth after setting up from within KDE. My setup is identical in Dapper and it also works fine.

Please try cntrl-alt-k and report. Thanks.

Comment

I'd create an entry in your K Menu that executes that command (or executes a script that will toggle it) and set it execute when a certain key combination is pressed.
              For external use only.

Comment

Originally posted by SheeEttin
                I'd create an entry in your K Menu that executes that command (or executes a script that will toggle it) and set it execute when a certain key combination is pressed.
                over a year ago in Dapper (my first try at Kubuntu) I tried to configure cntrl-shift to switch keyboards (as I do in Windows) - but I never could get it to work in Dapper (nor could I figure out what the default key combination was). So I researched the Internet and finally found a post where cntrl-alt-k was used. I tried it and it worked just fine. This combination has also worked fine in both Feisty and Gutsy without setting a key combination to switch keyboards. I have not tried to configure any or use any other combo than cntrl-alt-K to switch keyboards since Dapper, and I have no reason to. Point is I had troubles too until I started using this key combo. It simply wasn't worth it for me to worry about it further. Why not try it and see if it works for you too. LM ps -I doubt if it is a bug or it would have been fixed by now. There is something we are not doing right when some are trying to set up the key sequence. Have no idea what it is.

Comment

Ctrl-Alt-K works here. Gutsy Beta, 64-bit.

Comment

Dear lesmyer.
                    Thanks for your suggestions, but I think You missed the point.
                    There problem is not in key combination. Combination Ctrl+Shift, which I use, works fine, because I see switching in system tray (country flags are changed when I press Ctrl+Shift).
                    The problem is that even thought flags in system tray are changed, there is no actual switch of layouts.
                    Moreover, I cannot switch layouts using plain xorg method (in xorg.conf).

I need more info on how to find out the exact reason of problem. That is the key.

P.S. I'll try to Ctrl+Alt+k on Monday, because it happened on my work machine, but I don't believe it will help.

Comment

Re: Keyboard layout switch in KDE does not work after upgrade to Gutsy[SOLVED]

I created bug report at launchpad and seems found the reason of problem, but I need more details on the kxkb behavior.
                      https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...se/+bug/150388

Comment

Working...
                      X