X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

uninstalled Kwrite - can't reinstall

Hello board.
    I'm totally new to linux and Kubuntu but have decided to give it a go on my new fileserver.
    After successfully installing Gutsy I preceded to uninstall all packages I though would be unecassary on a server.
    Now it turns out I need Kwrite to edit the settings of my wireless networking card. However, I can't seem to reinstall it in Adept Manager.
    I have tried with both my two accounts but clicking "request install" simply leads to nothing...

Can someone please help me reinstall it, and possibly explain a little in general about how programmes are handled by (K)ubuntu?
    Thanks in advance.

Re: uninstalled Kwrite - can't reinstall

did you click the "apply changes" button on toolbar after requesting install? it sounds stupid, but i missed that step when i first started.

Comment

Did you, perchance, decide you also didn't need the package kubuntu-desktop? That's the only thing I can think of that would pull the legs out from under standard KDE packages like Kwrite. "kubuntu-desktop" is the metapackage of KDE support infrastructure that you need to run this thing called "Kubuntu".

I'm no server configuration expert, but it sounds kinda like you pruned some muscles and bones off that system, along with the "fat".

Or make sure you did what Wayne says, he's not only fast, he could be right!

Comment

Dible is probably right and wayne may have a point. Happened to me too.
        You can of course use kate in kdesu mode.
        Alt+F2+kdesu kate. Give your password and you are in "root" mode for editing purposes.
        HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
        4 GB Ram
        Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Thanks for your swift replies.
          I see no such package as Kubuntu desktop.
          The following packages are shown when I do a search for Kubuntu:

Kubuntu-artwork-usplash (installed)
          Kubuntu-default-settings (installed)
          Kubuntu-docs (installed)
          Kubuntu-konqueror-shortcuts (installed)
          language-selector qt (installed)

The "apply changes" button remains greyed out even after selecting "request install"

Comment

Originally posted by Fintan
            You can of course use kate in kdesu mode.
            Alt+F2+kdesu kate. Give your password and you are in "root" mode for editing purposes.
            I'm sorry for beeing a noob, but I still don't understand the different operating modes of linux and how/when to use them.
            Could you please explain this further?

Comment

Originally posted by Bebbe

The "apply changes" button remains greyed out even after selecting "request install"
              Uh - Oh -- this is not sounding good! :P

When you click on Adept Manager, does it ask for a password before it opens?

Did you install the generic Gutsy kernel or did you go for the server version? In the installation routine, did it ask you to give a user name, and a password?

When you were "trimming", did you use Adept Manager to mark packages for removal, or how exactly did you go about that?

Here are a series of CLI commands that may clean up a problem in your package manager, if there is one:

Code:
              sudo dpkg --configure -a
              Code:
              sudo apt-get autoremove
              Code:
              sudo apt-get update
              Code:
              sudo apt-get install
              Then try again to open Adept Manager, and see if it behaves any better. It should (a) ask for a password before opening, and (b) let you mark packages for installation or removal, and (c) the "Apply" button should light up as soon as you mark a package. But first click "Fetch" (or is it "Refresh"?) to refresh the package database. Then mark your packages.

Comment

Thank you all...
                After messing around with my own mess for a while (and learning a lot in the process) I decided to reinstall the OS...
                It is now working as it should

Comment

Working...
                X