This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Firefox32 on AMD64

I am pretty new to Ubuntu - sorry if this is a silly question. I found similar topics on the forums but not the answer I need, so...

I Installed Kubuntu Gutsy Amd64 a few days ago. I am trying to solve a few issues with 32-bit programs. I managed to make Flash work on Firefox, but I still want to have a running version of Firefox with as many plugins as possible. This one: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/AM...efoxAndPlugins looked like a good source.

First note I had some of the libraries already installed (I had been playing with chroot environments for 32 bit). I know I have *not* installed ia32-libs-gtk, but installed ia32-libs-kde instead when I played with that (as using Kubuntu instead of (G)Ubuntu, I thought I would not need them). Now, if I want to install ia32-libs-gtk, I get:

sudo apt-get install ia32-libs-gtk
    (...)
    Note, selecting ia32-libs instead of ia32-libs-gtk
    ia32-libs is already the newest version.

I don't know if that is important anyway. Now, in the next steps, files from pango32 are mentioned, but I don't have any of those directories. Does pango32 come from ia32-libs-gtk? If so, how do I do to install it now, if it is not in my list of available packages?

Thanks!

Re: Firefox32 on AMD64

I grabbed the script to install the 32bit firefox from here

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=1174435

It will download and install needed dependencies for you. I have a fully working 32bit firefox with java, flash, and various other plugins under my 64bit install of Gutsy Beta.
    ***Windows Vista -- Just another pane in the glass...***

Comment

The Gutsy repo package "flashplugin-nonfree" seems to do a reasonable job of providing flash capability -- I think the wrapper is the same one.

Also get "mozilla-mplayer", "mozilla-plugin-gnash" and "mozilla-plugin-vlc" if those are applicable to your setup.

Comment

In Gutsy, there is a flash plugin (non-free proprietary) for the 64bit version of Firefox listed in Adept; essentially, unless you prefer the 32bit version, it is unnecessary to have the 32bit version of Firefox in Gutsy.

Gutsy seems to install the 32bit flash plugin in the 64bit version of Firefox using "nspluginwrapper", however, nspluginwrapper is not limited to Gutsy installations, you can use it with any 64bit version of Kubuntu including Feisty (I did ) and many other distros. If your interested in learning more about nspluginwrapper, or installing it, you can find it here. [just follow the instructions for installation ]

Edit: Sorry for repeating some of your stuff dibl, I posted mine right after you posted yours.
        Asus G1S-X3:
        Intel Core2 Duo T7500, Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT, 4Gb PC2-5300, 320Gb Hitachi 7k320, Linux ( )

Comment

Originally posted by integr8e

Edit: Sorry for repeating some of your stuff dibl, I posted mine right after you posted yours.
          It's OK, as long as you repeat only the truth, and not the lies!

Comment

Thanks guys, this is really helpful. I did not know that URL.
            I am also interested in trying the Free builds of firefox... I foresee a propagation of browsers on my Kubuntu for next days!

Comment

Working...
            X