This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

can't run ./configure?

Hi, I'm just a few days new of Kubuntu, and I ran into a lot of questions.
    I tried to install Firefox using source tarball (if that's the technical terms). So I downloaded it from firefox.com, extract it using command line. Then the first step of source installation is to configure it. So I change into the firefox source directory, and execute ./configure . But this error message pops up:
    Code:
    bash: ./config: No such file or directory
    Is there any thing missing in my kubuntu installation?
    Thank you.

Re: can't run ./configure?

Install FireFox via Adept Manager - it's A LOT simpler.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Yeah I already did that, but the point is, why can't I install using source? There are a lot of things I want to install using source.

Comment

The pat answer is, that until you have become familiar and comfortable with *ubuntu, you are best to use Adept and/or Synaptic to install packages. But as to your specific issue. In order to compile source code, you have to have an appropriate compiler installed. Sorry, but I'm not any where near ready to attempt compiling myself, so I can't help you in this regard.

Comment

Open Adept Manager and search for The GNU C
          On my system, coreutils, cpp, cpp-4.1, gcc, gcc-3.3-base, gcc-4.1, gcc-4.1-base, gcj-4.1-base, and gzip packages are installed. Searching on gcc also shows kubgcc1 package installed.

Comment

Code:
            bash: ./config: No such file or directory
            Could it be because it should be ./configure and not ./config?

Most source code tarballs have README and INSTALL files. Always read those before installing something from source for special instructions.
            Jucato's Data Core

Comment

Thanks for your advice it's because the newest version of Firefox only comes out in source package. But yeah, I'll stick with adept at the moment.
              And the error message that I pasted above, it's ./config because I tried desperately every word related to "configure" to see if it works (which is stupid :P). I tried ./configure for a thousand times already.
              Thanks again guys.

Comment

I believe for compiling you need the "build-essential" package from the repos. It should give you you compiler and everything else.

eriefisher
                ~$sudo make me a sandwich

Comment

Originally posted by eriefisher
                  I believe for compiling you need the "build-essential" package from the repos. It should give you you compiler and everything else.
                  Yup

'./configure' runs the configure script from current working directory, so if you can't start it check that:
                  1. You're in the correct directory (in your terminal session)
                  2. There actually is a configure script in the directory (see the package documentation if it isn't)
                  3. You have the permissions to execute it (r-x)

If the script starts, but you get errors running it, make sure 'build-essential' is installed for tha basic compiling tools (you might also need some -dev libraries depending on what you are compiling)

Comment

Some - dev packages:

If you get:
                    checking for X... configure: error: Can't find X includes.
                    kdebase-dev
                    development files for the KDE base module
                    This package contains headers and other development files needed to
                    compile software based on the KDE base module.

If you get:
                    configure: error: "Header file konq_operations.h is missing.
                    kde-devel
                    the K Desktop Environment development files and modules

This metapackage includes official KDE modules that are useful to developers,
                    including KDE's software development kit (SDK), Qt3's designer tool, and all
                    core KDE header and development packages.

FAQ: Installing from source
                    http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3085626.0
                    Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
                    1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
                    2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

I had the same problems, and I'd give a link to my experience, except I'm embarrassed to do so. I admit to being new at building from source, but I sure did my homework and tried all sorts of deeply researched tries at it.

Short story:
                      Two well-known Linux people have written the script for you.
                      It gets the latest versions for you and informs you of updates, should you wish to accept that option. The FX & T-Bird you get through your Kubuntu is not the latest version and you will not get updates (unless that has changed recently).

Firefox (latest), Thunderbird (latest): http://ubuntuzilla.wiki.sourceforge.net/
                      (& Seamonkey)

Advice:
                      Practice the build-from-source thing with some other package, as I am taking my own advice (ego aside).

--Mike

Compile from source:
                      https://help.ubuntu.com/community/CompilingEasyHowTo
                      https://help.ubuntu.com/community/CompilingSoftware
                      https://help.ubuntu.com/community/CheckInstall
                      (all three are together and are cross-linked)

Compile from source, Installing software (MANY links):
                      http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3086417.0

Edit added:

OK, I’m forgetting the details on FX, but with T-Bird, here’s my story:

http://forums.hardwareguys.com/ikonb...hl=thunderbird
                      (see Post #24)

There was no ./configure file – it’s ready to go, with a bit of detective work.

An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Thanks for all the advice I really appreciate it. I have a long way to learn Kubuntu anyway

Comment

You're welcome. That's one of the many fun parts of Linux -- learning never ends, and the best part is that you CAN learn and use what you learn -- Linux lets you get into your system and make it the way you want it.
                          An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Working...
                          X