This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: nvidia-settings & Gutsy

Ah, got it; I had xserver-xgl installed, that was the whole problem. I've uninstalled it, and, Compiz runs better than before, I can access nvidia-settings, and I have direct rendering again.

Thanks dibl

Edit: If anybody knows, how do you configure Compiz so it doesn't minimize SuperKaramba themes when you click the 'Desktop Access' button?
    Asus G1S-X3:
    Intel Core2 Duo T7500, Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT, 4Gb PC2-5300, 320Gb Hitachi 7k320, Linux ( )

Comment

You are very welcome, integr8e -- glad to hear about your little breakthrough!

If you get SuperKaramba themes working good with Compiz, post your methods -- I'm aware of some others with interests in that direction.

Comment

They seem to work on my system, just, when I click the 'Show Desktop' button on my taskbar, they minimize along with all open windows.
        Asus G1S-X3:
        Intel Core2 Duo T7500, Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT, 4Gb PC2-5300, 320Gb Hitachi 7k320, Linux ( )

Comment

I just found a nice SuperKaramba theme for Core 2 Duo CPUs, and put it up.

On the "minimizing theme when you click "show desktip" button", this looks like proper behavior -- the purpose of "show desktop" is to, errrr, Show It All!

But, it is possible there is a way to defeat this behavior -- if you find it, let us know.

Comment

Got it, uncheck the "Hide skip taskbar windows" option under General options. Got it on this forum
            Asus G1S-X3:

Comment

Nice catch -- Thanks!

Comment

Hey dibl, could running Emerald with Compiz be part of what slows my system down at times?
                Asus G1S-X3:

Comment

I kinda doubt it -- Emerald is just a "Window Decorator" -- it can't be much of a drag.

However, if you will open the Konsole and run
                  Code:
                  and then just keep an eye on it while you're doing other things, it will show you at all times what process(es) is using the most CPU %. So, when things slow down, check your top window and see who is the resource hog. It's not unusual that xorg is doing it to you -- unless you forgot to remove strigi or something like that.

Comment

Whenever I have problems & check which programs are the top CPU hogs at the time, Compiz usually is at the top, but only taking up 30-40%. I don't get it because I've seen Compiz run at that rate and a little higher plenty of times without my computer freezing, however, whenever I've been away from my computer for a while, it typically freezes on me immediately after I move the mouse cursor and click something. If I'm in position to see what processes are running at the time of the freeze, Compiz is usually at the top, but only consuming 30-40%. It almost always happens when I've been away from my computer for some time. I don't get it The thing is, I was having this problem before I installed Compiz

Is there a log in /var/log that would tell me what application caused the freeze up? Because I usually have to reboot to get my system responding again. (A large portion of the time, everything, including my keyboard - other than my mouse - stops responding. I can move the cursor, but that's it.)
                    Asus G1S-X3:

Comment

30% - 40% is a lot, in the world of CPU utilization. Compiz typically uses only 1% - 4% of my Core 2 Extreme -- on a par with Firefox and Xorg. If you want to observe the effects of typical usage on Xorg, do the following:

- Open Firefox -- open a couple of tabs
                      - Running Compiz ...
                      - open a Konsole and run "glxgears"
                      - now open another Konsole and run "top"
                      - while watching top, take your mouse and draw circles with the cursor for a minute, observing the Xorg CPU utilization
                      - now take your hand off the mouse and just watch top for another minute

See how hard Xorg actually works, just to drive your mouse?

Comment

I followed your instructions; what in the world is glxgears used for other than wasting my cpu? I don't know, but watching Compiz for a while, whenever it showed in 'top' it was within your specified %; I'm not sure why it wants to spike when I return to my computer after it's been sitting for a while. It always either seems to be Compiz or xorg that hogs my cpu when I move the cursor. Don't know why, but one always seems to do it
                        Asus G1S-X3:

Comment

glxgears has no function except to prove that your graphics driver is providing glx support, and to calculate a frames-per-second rate for you.

Hard to say why your rig is locking up after a period of inactivity. If, when it is all locked up, you can do Ctrl-Alt-Backspace, and log back in and get going again, that would indicate the problem is limited to KDM/Xorg. If that doesn't work, then it would suggest it's deeper in your system.

You also know about the Ksysguard monitor, in which you can observe all the running processes, right? But I like top because it automatically sorts them so the bad boys are at the top of the list. I've not observed compiz.real to use more than about 4% or 5% of my CPU, so far. But, I will be watching it -- it's new software and far from bug-free at this stage.

Comment

I do know about KSysGuard, I have it set to run with the three-finger-salute (ctrl-alt-delete); I don't know, sometimes my system lets me restart X, sometimes it doesn't. If it were limited to xorg, what would the solution be?
                            Asus G1S-X3:

Comment

Working...
                            X