This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dolphin crashes

I have a fresh installation of Kubuntu 7.1 Beta. The problem is, everytime i close dolphin, it gives me the following error:

Unable to save bookmarks in /home/niila/.kde/share/apps/d3lphin/bookmarks.xml. Reported error was: Permission denied. This error message will only be shown once. The cause of the error needs to be fixed as quickly as possible, which is most likely a full hard drive.

My hard drive is not even half full yet. All permissions on the path should be fine.

Re: Dolphin crashes

What says:
    Code:
    :~$ ls -l /home/niila/.kde/share/apps/d3lphin/bookmarks.xml
    If it starts like this:
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root
    then

Bug #136458 in dolphin
    dolphin not able to save bookmarks after using "open as root" option
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...in/+bug/136458
    deleting the files bookmarks.xml and bookmarks.bak solves this problem.

the permisson of bookmarks.xml is set to root after using the "open as root" option.

Or reseting ownership of the files to your user:

From Topic: Konqueror Browser Can Browse Only as ROOT by claydoh
    http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3084031.0
    Code:
    sudo chown -Rv <insert-username>.<insert-groupname> /home/<insert-username>/.kde

Note
    I'm falling back to the Dolphin 0.82 ( D3lphin 0.9 Integrated second sidebar - aargh > ).
    Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
    1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
    2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

Hey,
      dunno if this will help anyone. Im lazy and like using dolphins open as root but this error got to me everytime i quit the root dolphin. Something about as soon as you enter into root it resets the file permissions.

Go to "/usr/share/apps/d3lphin/servicemenus" and find "dolphin_su.desktop" edit this as root(which doesnt seem to edit your permissions )

Find the line

Code:
      Exec=kdesu -c 'd3lphin %U'
      and change it to

Code:
      Exec=/bin/sh -c "kdesu -c 'd3lphin %U' && kdesu chmod 777 /home/<Your-Username>/.kde/share/apps/d3lphin/bookmarks.xml"
      Basically this just resets your permissions on that file to 777 after changing your files as root. Not sure how this will work for more than one user, im just a single user so doesnt matter. Maybe somebody knows the way to automatically insert your-username depending on who's logged on.

Suppose you could use change ownership for this to.

Comment

Basically this just resets your permissions on that file to 777 after changing your files as root.
        Good fix ! Thank you

The Problem is the new kdesudo:
        Topic: kdesu dolphin changes bookmark permissions
        http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3087744.0

Another Fix or workaround is to use the old kdesu:
        Topic: Tribe 5 and konqueror.
        http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3086411.0

Or simply use:
        Alt + F2 : /usr/bin/kdesu.distrib dolphin instead of kdesudo dolphin (or open as root)

in the KDE Menu Editor:

Comment

This may be a dumb question but why open dolphin as root instead of just using the edit as root feature?
          HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
          4 GB Ram
          Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

If you need to paste a file in a root owned folder?

Comment

Open as root?
              4 GB Ram
              Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Not following , sorry im a super noob only installed kubuntu yesterday

Comment

Okay, if you want to edit something as root in dolphin point (with out opening) at the file / folder with your mouse and the right hand panel will give a preview and offer to edit / open as root. Choose this and give your password
                  4 GB Ram
                  Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

but it was the "open as root" for a folder that was changing the permissions

Comment

Oh okay, I thought you were starting dolphin as root
                      Code:
                      kdesudo dolphin
                      , etc.

I don't have that issue, sorry can't be of more help
                      4 GB Ram
                      Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

No prob sorted mine out.

Comment

Open as Root vs Edit as Root

Open as Root opens/starts new Dolphin window with root rights. = kdesudo dolphin => Unable to save bookmarks in /home/...

Edit as Root starts kwrite with root rights = kdesudo kwrite. This doesn't change the permissions. Edit as Root is Konqueror servicemenu.

Note
                          You can use Konqueror servicemenus (some of them) in the Dolphin.
                          Topic: Using Dolphin to batch process images like Konqueror?
                          http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3087984.0

There is very good servicemenu (thanks to kubicle):
                          Root Actions Servicemenu
                          http://www.kde-apps.org/content/show...?content=48411
                          Root Actions servicemenu is a replacement/alternative for the default Edit-as-root servicemenu in kubuntu.
                          Root Actions Servicemenu works fine in the Konqueror but in the Dolphin (0.82) it doesn't show all actions.

Comment

i got this behavior too when opening dolphin as root. the simple fix was to reset the permissions/ownage to user.
                            <br />

Comment

I'm slightly off-topic, but since it was brought up (thanks for the feedback Rog131)

Originally posted by Rog131
                              Root Actions Servicemenu works fine in the Konqueror but in the Dolphin (0.82) it doesn't show all actions.
                              There are a few problems with servicemenus in dolphin (d3lphin), but the rootactions servicemenu can be 'tinkered with' to work better with dolphin:

1. ServiceTypes=all/all doesn't seem to work at all on dolphin, changing it to ServiceTypes=all/allfiles,inode/directory in rootactionsall.desktop should bring back the majority of the actions.

2. Dolphin doesn't support "_SEPARATOR_"s, removing them from the .desktop files makes the menu a bit cleaner.

3. Dolphin doesn't merge the menus, showing two menus instead...the only solution I can think of for this is to merge the menus in a single rootactionsall.desktop file (this will show literally all actions for every item, which isn't the preferred behavior, but it show the items in a single menu)

I have been thinking about providing a dolphin-friendly version of the menu, but so far I've been hoping the issues with servicemenus would be fixed in dolphin itself.

Comment

Working...
                              X