X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New to Gutsy Gibbon

I've used Dapper Drake in the past.
    I've installed Gutsy Gibbon and this is day 2. Updates are installing as I'm typing.
    My question is in reference to the Desktop. It's supposed to be a KDE Desktop yet is so Gnomish in appearence. (Which really doesn't bother me in the slightest as I'm not fond of icons cluttering my desktop). The only thing KDE that i see is the kicker at the bottom, the option for dual screens, trash can and close screens icons in the lower kicker.
    Am I correct in assuming this is Ubuntu's version of KDE?
    While I'm posting I'd like to state that I've installed several packages from synaptic with zero probs with the installs themselves, however, not all packages performed.
    The problem packages were games. Quake 2 doesn't function at all, Prboom loads but I had zero control over it with the keyboard or mouse(mouse isn't used at all on the game in any event unless it has changed unbeknownst to me)
    My other prob was activating the visual effects. If I set it to anything else beyond normal, Several featuers, again primarily games such as Doom are washed out. I have o keep it set to none. I have a pentium 4 processor for reference.
    All in all so far I'm happy with the distro.

Edit: I see there are several pdats to be installed,and I saw compiz was one of those updates. That is probably why the viisual effects didn't work.
Working...
X