This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Logout bug???

I just installed the beta version of Gutsy last night; it's great, it's awesome, I love it. However, when I click on the Logout button, the only option it gives me is "Logout"; what happened to Restart and Shutdown? Is this just a bug or do I now have to logout before I can restart/shutdown?
    Asus G1S-X3:
    Intel Core2 Duo T7500, Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT, 4Gb PC2-5300, 320Gb Hitachi 7k320, Linux ( )

Re: Logout bug

Welcome to the wonderful world of Beta releases!
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Thank you for the welcome.

I'm assuming it's a bug then. A well, it's not major so I won't worry about it too much (brings back memories of the old 3.1 days; my dad always made me log out of Windows before I shut the computer down; good times ). Are y'all experiencing the same glitch?
      Asus G1S-X3:
      Intel Core2 Duo T7500, Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT, 4Gb PC2-5300, 320Gb Hitachi 7k320, Linux ( )

Comment

Last first: No, I'm running Feisty Fawn 7.04. I enjoy the stability! 8) I'll wait until Gutsy is out of Beta and "officially" released before I give it a go.

As to what your Dad had you doing. I tell 'puter users this: If you got into where you are currently, and you wish to leave, go out the way you came in, i.e., in the reverse order. It ensures a clean closure and shutdown of the running process. Yes, it's easy to just 'turn the power off,' but that is just asking for trouble.

Comment

Good point; I suppose I've been slacking
          Asus G1S-X3:

Comment

I have to add 'clarification,' as others will if I don't.

You can leave open applications 'running' when you choose to shutdown without doing any harm. In fact, it is useful. I leave Konqueror open, as it will retain the web pages I have open when I reboot. The only application I actually shut down is my email (KMail), as I have my passwords stored in KWallet. Leaving KMail open when I shutdown causes access problems with it when I reboot.

That's what is nice about Linux - it 'remembers' the state of open applications when you shutdown.

Comment

I agree, that is something I learned right after I made the switch; it's very similar to the Session Manager tool in Firefox. (By the way, I'm using Firefox right now, and I've found another bug in Gutsy; everything I'm looking at is in black and white, . . . heh )
              Asus G1S-X3:

Comment

However, when I click on the Logout button, the only option it gives me is "Logout"; what happened to Restart and Shutdown? Is this just a bug or do I now have to logout before I can restart/shutdown?
                Hmm - i have all buttons.

But

Error - Dolphin
                Unable to save bookmarks in /home/rog/.kde/share/apps/d3phin/bookmarks.xml. Reported error was: Permission denied. This error message will only be shown once. The cause of the error needs to be fixed as quickly as possible, which is most likely a full hard drive.
                Fix:
                Checking bookmark.xml:
                bookmark.xml -rw-r--r-- root root
                So:
                Code:
                sudo chmod -c 777 /home/rog/.kde/share/apps/d3lphin/bookmarks.xml
                Now it is working.

Or reseting ownership of the files to your user:

From Topic: Konqueror Browser Can Browse Only as ROOT by claydoh
                http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3084031.0
                Code:
                sudo chown -Rv <insert-username>.<insert-groupname> /home/<insert-username>/.kde

Bug #136458 in dolphin
                dolphin not able to save bookmarks after using "open as root" option
                https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...in/+bug/136458
                Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
                1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
                2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

Thanks for the tip, that error was slightly aggravating; oh, btw, you may want to specify users change '/rog' to their username
                  Asus G1S-X3:

Comment

I have the same shut down bug, have to log out first :P nvm, only takes 2 seconds I guess
                    Compy: AMD 64x2 6000+, Crosshair mobo, Enermax PSU, 4GB DDR2 800, 8800GTS 640mb, 24in cheapy monitor + secondary 17in, aprrx 1.6tb storage (internal) + external DVDrw, lots of nice big blue shiny quiet fans.

Comment

Code:
                      sudo shutdown now -r
                      Is one of the few commands that you just need to memorize. You'll need it if you play with driver installation and compiling things, when the GUI isn't behaving.

Comment

I'll definitely do my best to remember that one.
                        Asus G1S-X3:

Comment

My wife often goes to bed later tha me. I had just gotten her used to the shutdown method that worked with Feisty, now she' puzzled again (no, she's not a geek). The thing that really irritates me is that this seems to prevent Kshutdown from doing its job too. I set Kshutdown to turn off the box an hour after I go to bed and all it does is log out. That used to work. Now I've got to retrain my wife.

Comment

I'm not sure if this is your problem or not, but I fixed this bug when I uninstalled "xserver-xgl"; I had it installed to run Compiz, but recently found out - thanks again dibl - that I didn't need it. It was apparently superseding my Nvidia driver, and was wreaking havoc throughout my system. Compiz runs just fine and dandy with the Nvidia driver, in fact, it runs better I uninstalled it and had a breakthrough; Direct rendering (which previously was refusing to run) was enabled, I could again access nvidia-settings (couldn't before), Compiz ran better, and I had all the buttons on my logoff menu.

See if you have "xserver-xgl" installed and if you need it; then, if it's installed and not needed, uninstall it and see what happens
                            Asus G1S-X3:

Comment

Working...
                            X