X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Amarok and Desktop not finding...

My CD or USB portable device.

Having had installation problems yesterday, which have been solved by the way, (I'm only 1 day old in Linux) I decided to test a DVD. It wouldn't work so i followed the instructions posted in the 'HOW TO' section of the board and I can now view DVD's through Kaffiene.

Now my first question is this:

After I installed yesterday, I could place my portable USB storage device into a USB port and it would be instantly picked up by Kubuntu. This morning after I updated the system fully it doesn't do that. Any ideas? I know that's a hardware question but the next involves a software question.

My second question is this:

Placing a CD in the drive doesn't get a respeonse either from the desktop. No CD icon appears. I manually open up Amarok and select 'PLAY CD,' but again, no response from Amarok or the system. Any ideas?

I've install the following packages:

alsa-base
    alsa-utils
    alsa-oss
    alsamixergui
    alsaplayer-alsa
    alsaplayer-common
    alsamixergui

gstreamer0.10-plugins-ugly
    libxine-extracodecs

I hope to hear from you guys soon. You've all been very helpful to somebody like myself switching over from Windows and I can't thank you enough. There's just a few more things to iron out though.

Edit: Ok after a few tweaks...Amarok finds my CD in the drive and is playing it right now. SUCCESS!

What's still confusing though is why the CD icon isn't appearing on the desktop and why it's not finding my portal storage USB device when it did yesterday before the updates.

Killuminati.

Re: Amarok and Desktop not finding...

Ok after a few tweaks...Amarok finds my CD
    Good at least you are half way there. what tweaks would they have been?

I have had no problems with the other two more HW related issues, sorry I can't help you there.

Maybe just doing a reboot could help. In general rebooting is not necessary but sometimes a update/-grade can change hardware recognizing / settings.

Comment

Killuminati-did you try manually mounting the USB drive?

Comment

I don't know it this helps as I have never had this prob. either but have a look at this:
        http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...77658#msg77658
        from the great dible

and this:
        http://www.penguin.ch/dokuwiki/doku....fig#ntfs_media
        from the venerable rider
        HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
        4 GB Ram
        Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Working...
        X