This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hmmm -- VERY QUIET after the latest update

Oh ... it's because my sound driver got nuked.

Code:
    dibl@gutsy:/usr/src$ sudo modprobe snd-hda-intel
    FATAL: Error inserting snd_hda_intel (/lib/modules/2.6.22-11-rt/ubuntu/media/snd-hda-intel/snd-hda-intel.ko): Invalid module format
    Anyone know how to deal with this? FYI, I DO actually have a sound system on this rig:

Code:
    dibl@gutsy:/$ lspci -v
    00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation 82975X Memory Controller Hub
        Subsystem: Intel Corporation Unknown device 5842
        Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0
        Capabilities: <access denied>

00:01.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82975X PCI Express Root Port (prog-if 00 [Normal decode])
        Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0
        Bus: primary=00, secondary=01, subordinate=01, sec-latency=0
        I/O behind bridge: 00003000-00003fff
        Memory behind bridge: e4000000-e5ffffff
        Prefetchable memory behind bridge: 00000000d0000000-00000000dfffffff

00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) High Definition Audio Controller (rev 01)
        Subsystem: Intel Corporation Unknown device 0417
        Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 9
        Memory at e6200000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]
    and a module that USED to work:

Code:
    dibl@gutsy:/usr/src$ modinfo soundcore
    filename:    /lib/modules/2.6.22-11-rt/kernel/sound/soundcore.ko
    alias:     char-major-14-*
    license:    GPL
    author:     Alan Cox
    description:  Core sound module
    srcversion:   548AA54AF08207316C104F8
    depends:
    vermagic:    2.6.22-11-rt SMP preempt mod_unload
    Since I already have the soundcore module, it doesn't seem sensible that I should launch into a new module compiling adventure, does it? What the heck? :P

Re: Hmmm -- VERY QUIET after the latest update

I also had the sound nuked as well as my wireless router connection removed - so back to the ethernet connection. I found that the update could not complete with something like 21 packages not installed because of conflicts. I did a clean and autoremove, followed by an apt-get dist-upgrade and I found that the canonical site was not responding .

I gave it about a 10 hour break and low and behold there were a couple more updates and everything went through smoothly and all is now working . I hope that you have found the same.

NoWorries

Comment

THANKS, NW!

Too bad I'm off to the office and can't try an update. I'll try it tonight. I did not observe any "held back" or "not installed" packages in the update, but I was hoping that whatever was broken would be fixed, without my intervention, so I didn't attempt to fix anything.

Comment

You know since everyone helped me get my video card working I haven't had any issues... I always hold my breath during updates.. the ambulance has only needed to come once... and that was because I used Adept instead of Synaptic.

Seriously, I've found the best thing to do with any new install of Kubuntu is

Code:
        apt-get install synaptic
        and then ever touch Adept again.

Comment

Bahh! Still no go, here. I wonder if it is related to my -rt kernel -- I think I'll try booting into -generic and see if it makes any difference.

EDIT: INTERESTING -- the same Gutsy kernel, -generic version:
          Code:
          dibl@gutsy:~$ uname -a
          Linux gutsy 2.6.22-11-generic #1 SMP Mon Sep 17 03:18:44 GMT 2007 x86_64 GNU/Linux
          has no problem with sound or the Kmixer.

Sooooooooo, I'm left to conclude that the Real Time kernel, which is the one that folks would be MOST concerned about having the sound system working, is the one with the snarfed up sound system. Hmmmmmmmmmmm -- go figure! :P

Comment

It might be, but over in the Ubuntu forums, a lot of people are also enjoying the silence after the last update.

Comment

Originally posted by dibl
              Bahh! Still no go, here. I wonder if it is related to my -rt kernel -- I think I'll try booting into -generic and see if it makes any difference.

EDIT: INTERESTING -- the same Gutsy kernel, -generic version:
              Code:
              dibl@gutsy:~$ uname -a
              Linux gutsy 2.6.22-11-generic #1 SMP Mon Sep 17 03:18:44 GMT 2007 x86_64 GNU/Linux
              has no problem with sound or the Kmixer.

Sooooooooo, I'm left to conclude that the Real Time kernel, which is the one that folks would be MOST concerned about having the sound system working, is the one with the snarfed up sound system. Hmmmmmmmmmmm -- go figure! :P
              That helps explain a lot to me, as you have a 64 bit system. The default kernel that I have is for an Intel DUO T7200 and is:
              Code:
              uname -a
              Linux manuel 2.6.22-11-generic #1 SMP Mon Sep 17 03:45:58 GMT 2007 i686 GNU/Linux
              Perhaps the other differences that I had with the updates relate to this as well. Hope the kernel problem is resolved soon for the 64bit systems.

Comment

Originally posted by NoWorries

The default kernel that I have is for an Intel DUO T7200 and is:
                Code:
                uname -a
                Linux manuel 2.6.22-11-generic #1 SMP Mon Sep 17 03:45:58 GMT 2007 i686 GNU/Linux
                That is a dual-core CPU, isn't it? Is it a 64-bit CPU? -- if so, you could run the 64-bit kernel on it, if you wanted to. It is only the -rt version of the 64-bit kernel that has suddenly got this problem with the sound module. The -generic version seems fine.

Comment

That is a dual-core CPU, isn't it? Is it a 64-bit CPU? -- if so, you could run the 64-bit kernel on it, if you wanted to.
                  Yes it is 64-bit. But I am surprised that using uname -a gives the processor as an i686. The Linux kernel image in Adept shows that it is for x86/x86_64, so I do not think that I can do anything more as it does not seem to be using the 64-bit architecture with the SMP.

Comment

Working...
                  X