This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A Few Questions for you helpful posters

Just a few queries for you guys, as I know that you will know the answers to them. After this mornings successful updates, I am getting a window message on arriving at the desktop as follows:-
    'No command arguments supplied
    Usage kudos [u<runds>]<command> (might not be just right as I wrote it down and now can't read my own handwriting!)
    KdeSudo will now exit
    which I can't understand (although things seem to be okay) and my other query is about downloaded videos and how to get them to play okay. Most of them are usually WMV files, and one in particular is in MPEG 4 (I think that is the right term) and I can't get any of them to play if I download them.So what do I need to install in order to be able to play such videos, instead I have to boot into Vista in order to play them. Is there a player that can play such files, which and if so what codecs or files do I need to install in order to play them.

Bet your all glad to see me back with all my innumerable problems!

TG

Re: A Few Questions for you helpful posters

with regards to your video playback, i find that VLC media player is sufficient to play anything I need. The sudo-apt gettable package comes default with all the codecs needed to play almost any media file.

As for the first query about the error message, perhaps a re-install of the KDE packages would fix it?

Comment

And which may they be my helpful friend (you have to be more specific I am afraid for this poster who is rather getting on in years, and tends to these day be a trifle thick!

Will also try out your suggestion of a player thanks for that.
      The other prob that I am getting and have been getting for the last week or so seems to mainly affect Konqueror and Kontact, and reads as follows, I will either be browsing or using Kontact when i get this window popping up on the desktop
      Will not save configuration
      Configure file "home/me(my name)/kde/shre/config/kwin_killer_helperrc" not writable
      Configure file "/home/me/dke/share/config/kdeglobals" not writable.
      Please contact your system administrator.
      Now when this happens, I usually have to re-boot the system and then everything is okay again till the next time!! I have noticed as well that my settings for Kontact (layout etc) are not being saved. Could this be anything to do with my having Kubuntu installed on an external drive?

Sorry to you all for being such a pain these days, and thanks a bunch for all your help.

TG

Comment

Originally posted by f1rem0th
        with regards to your video playback, i find that VLC media player is sufficient to play anything I need. The sudo-apt gettable package comes default with all the codecs needed to play almost any media file.

As for the first query about the error message, perhaps a re-install of the KDE packages would fix it?

Just posting back to you to thank you very much for informing me about the VLC player. I have installed it and it has played all my video files including the High Def one no problem. Mind you I had no sound on it but that is another story, as I am one of the unfortunate victims of the sound setting problems that some of us have at the mo, so not down to the player I can assure you. So thanks again! Hey another reason why I don't need windoze yippee!!

TG

Comment

Working...
        X