This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Kmenu>Settings>Advanced Desktop Effects Settings

Thanks Lowey!!! Found it and now does that.

Dibl, I looked for the mouse wheel setting but don't think there is one. I didn't set that and it works on mine. That is I have the mouse pointer in an unoccupied section of the Desktop and use the mouse scroll up or down to rotate the cube. I think that is what you were talking about. I'll continue to look as well.

Still have ugly white borders when using KDE Windows Decos. Working on that.

Comment

Originally posted by MoonRise

That is I have the mouse pointer in an unoccupied section of the Desktop and use the mouse scroll up or down to rotate the cube. I think that is what you were talking about.
      That is exactly what I'm talking about. It worked great in Beryl (still does on Feisty). In Compiz -- nada!

I noticed this morning that if I hover the mouse cursor over the little desktop icon down on the right end of my taskbar, then it does appear to work correctly. This is a new development -- maybe last night's updates added some functionality there. But there's still no action on the desktop, unless I hold the left Ctrl-Alt keys and grab a corner with the mouse to turn the cube manually.

Oh well, I think it's getting better with these updates ... "patience" may be the cure for the problem.

Comment

OK,OK, I read almost all of this long thread, and I am confused.
        End of the month when I install Gutsy, (I have an nVidia card) will compiz-fusion just work?
        if not, will there be an easy (ie graphical) way to enable it?
        other point of interest - will it work in 64 and 32 bit? (AMD 3000+)

Comment

Originally posted by EMoShunz

End of the month when I install Gutsy, (I have an nVidia card) will compiz-fusion just work?

Heh, heh, heh -- I'd say "not likely" -- unless major bug fixes are in final testing today.

You gotta understand this is NOT a mature package, by a long way. Beryl is granite-solid, by comparison, on my Feisty rig, and I think you know about Beryl. :P

if not, will there be an easy (ie graphical) way to enable it?
          Well, bearing in mind that "easy" is pretty much in the eye of the beholder, their Settings utility is 100% graphical icons and is organized into logical subject matter groups, so that part of it appears to be nicely done. Unfortunately, the connection between what you click and what happens on your desktop is still a little .... "uncertain", I guess I'd say.

other point of interest - will it work in 64 and 32 bit? (AMD 3000+)
          AFAIK, it's no worse on my 64-bit platform than on the 32-bit ones.

HTH!

Comment

Thanks!
            I tried to run the beta (my past experience with kubuntu betas were great so i took a chance) and it totally sucked
            had to reinstall and put up with complaints from the wife that she couldn't facebook :P
            anyway, for the 30 seconds it worked, the simple fade in and drop shadows were great.

i am having to but an apple for recording, and i would like the (now kids) linux box to look the same. i've seen some great screens of fusion running with a dock and everything like OS X Leopard. (i know...flame me if you will, but its pretty) and i love kde...so ubuntu is not an option >

Comment

Everything appears to work on mine, except for the ugly borders when using KDE Windows Decorators. Even the mouse scroll portion Dibl is talking about. That works, but I was thinking if it had something to do with the fact that portions of Beryl are still on this machine after the upgrade. I know they are located in different areas, just trying to figure it out. Still have not found a setting for that.

Comment

Originally posted by Fintan
                ... and put adept-notifier in the taskbar where I don't want it.
                Did you find the solution? a bit annoying to say the least...

Comment

had to reinstall and put up with complaints from the wife that she couldn't facebook
                  You installed Gutsy Beta immediately in advance of your wife's facebook session? -- man, you are one brave soul!

i am having to but an apple for recording
                  I record vinyl records with my *buntu box -- it's not hard with Audacity.

Comment

Originally posted by dibl

i am having to but an apple for recording
                    I record vinyl records with my *buntu box -- it's not hard with Audacity.
                    Nothing but issues for me with jokosher, or audacity, or ardour, or hydrogen, or jack...etc. plus, it gives me an excuse to buy some nice new hardware that, and 2 other band mates use apples, so it's easier to coordinate.
                    just to be clear though...i'm not dropping linux completely, kde/ubuntu/and a bunch of other projects are going to make linux the os of choice soon enough. i wouldn't be surprised if OS XI was based on it to give Apple an edge!

Comment

dibl, are you sure you can't rotate the cube by placing the cursor on the desktop and using the scrollwheel? It seems to work fine on my installation, don't know why if you're having problems though
                      Asus G1S-X3:
                      Intel Core2 Duo T7500, Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT, 4Gb PC2-5300, 320Gb Hitachi 7k320, Linux ( )

Comment

Originally posted by integr8e
                        dibl, are you sure you can't rotate the cube by placing the cursor on the desktop
                        Yep, I'm sure -- there's nothing. I can, however, position the mouse cursor over the right end of the panel where the number of desktops is shown, and it works, kinda-sorta, but not very controllably. Seems to go "forward" 3 times, then no further. "Backward" is a wild multi-flip with a random ending viewport.

In Ubuntu Feisty, on the same hardware, Envy lets me flip it from anywhere on the desktop, once click of the mousewheel = one viewport forward or backward. :P

EDIT: OK, this is wild. In the "Rotate Cube" item, I put an "x" in "Edge Flip Pointer" and "Edge Flip DnD". Now I can simply move the mouse cursor to the edge of the current viewport and it will flip to the next one, in either direction. Cool! I think this will do in lieu of mouse-wheel flipping. Gotta be a little careful though ...

Hmmmmmmmm, is this really page 5? Guess maybe a new thread is needed for this topic!

Comment

Quote:
                          Hmmmmmmmm, is this really page 5? Guess maybe a new thread is needed for this topic!

A new thread? We're just getting started, dibl!
                          I wish I was the man my dog thinks I am.<br /><br />Registered Linux User No. 402825

Comment

Re: Kmenu&gt;Settings&gt;Advanced Desktop Effects Settings

I can say I've got Compiz working on two machines using the KDE Windows Decos. One machine appears almost as well as Beryl(the Desktop) and the other produced an ugly White border (laptop). The Border issue was related to the "Shadow" feature. Now, why one did better than the other I do not know. The Desktop uses NVIDIA (256MB) while the laptop uses Intel(128MB) for the video. Don't really think memory is an issue, as both play graphic intensive games really well. Are there Intel settings I'm missing? Need to look I guess. Over all, Compiz holds it's own, but Beryl still seemed more polished, at least for KDE, can't speak for GNOME.

Comment

Okay, i have searched for 2 hours, and this thread is the most info in one place i could find. I read every post and tried everything but i can't get compiz working at all.

I had kubuntu/ubuntu (both installed) feisty with beryl working, upped to gutsy, and found no beryl packages. For me beryl was kinda buggy, i had a black window glich (happens on old nvidia cards, mines a Nvidia Geforce4 Go 440, my laptop is 6 years old )
                              Anyways, i heard on slashdot a while ago that *buntu was having compiz by default in gutsy, so i checked it out. All teh packages were already installed to.

So i ran "compiz --replace" and the only thing that changed was the window decorations. None of the cube stuff or wobble worked. Everything i change in the "advanced desktop effect settings" does nothing.
                              So I removed all packages that contained "beryl" "compiz" or "emerald" and reinstalled them and i get the same thing.

ps (i just noticed that i have updates to get, after i update i'll see if theres improvement)

Comment

Does anybody know how to configure Compiz to execute the kill window command, Ctrl-Alt-Esc? I've found where it looks like I can, but the setting is locked and will not let me change it (Advanced Desktop Effects Settings>General compiz options>Commands>Command line 11 |&| Advanced Desktop Effects Settings>General compiz options>Actions>Commands>Run Command 11).
                                Asus G1S-X3:
                                Intel Core2 Duo T7500, Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT, 4Gb PC2-5300, 320Gb Hitachi 7k320, Linux ( )

Comment

Working...
                                X