X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Kmenu>Settings>Advanced Desktop Effects Settings

Originally posted by Fintan

I saw them as well
    So, apparently this is the "new standard" configuration for Gutsy?

Hmmmm, I think you are right, Fintan -- perhaps it's best to just leave it alone, since it does actually work, kinda-sorta.

Comment

Well, I actually noticed when installing gutsy on a friends machine. Just before completing the install there was a hole list of drivers (the ones you mentioned) being installed and configured which I had never seen during install before.

Saw the same thing install the new mint celena beta yesterday.

My guess is they were always installed but not visibly so I suppose to cover all driver eventualities.
      HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
      4 GB Ram
      Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

I uninstalled all the compiz and emerald things with adept (including xserver-xgl).

It runs for me, but when I run compiz, I still get the thing running in konsole

garylowe@kubuntu:~$ compiz
        Checking for Xgl: present.
        Checking for nVidia: not present.
        Checking for Xgl: present.
        Enabling Xgl with nVidia drivers...
        Starting emerald
        /usr/bin/compiz.real (video) - Warn: No 8 bit GLX pixmap format, disabling YV12 image format

Would someone have an idea what I have done wrong?
        I wish I was the man my dog thinks I am.<br /><br />Registered Linux User No. 402825

Comment

Re: Kmenu&gt;Settings&gt;Advanced Desktop Effects Settings

I'm not sure you've done anything wrong, Lowey -- I think that is the same output I last saw when I ran
          Code:
          compiz
          in the console. Do you have a "KMenu>Settings" directory, with an "Advanced Desktop Effects Settings? Mark the "Desktop Cube" and "Rotate Cube" boxes, for starters. Hold down the left Ctrl and Alt keys and then push a right or left arrow. Any action?

Comment

Thanks for the quick reply, dibl.

I don't have the Advanced Desktop Effects Settings section in my Kmenu.

I do have the cube working nicely, though (much nicer than my old Beryl one, too) but I have to keep the konsole open to do it. I can't get some of the plugins to work, either, but that's for later.

I would just like to run it without having to have the console open.
            I wish I was the man my dog thinks I am.<br /><br />Registered Linux User No. 402825

Comment

Originally posted by Lowey

but I have to keep the konsole open to do it. I can't get some of the plugins to work, either, but that's for later.

I would just like to run it without having to have the console open.
              Yes, mine was that way up until a few days ago. At a point, I removed everything related to compiz, and then reinstalled the ones that appeared appropriate, including compiz, compiz-core, compiz-fusion-plugins-extra, compiz-fusion-plugins-main, compiz-gnome, compiz-kde, compiz-plugins, and compizconfig-settings-manager (I think this is what gives you the Settings utility). You might want to try removing it all and then reinstalling those packages.

Comment

Okay I finally got my plugins to activate/deactivate and the cube rotating.

First I went into synaptic and unistalled competely everything including emerald that was installed under "compiz".
                Next I did this in a terminal:

Code:
                locate compiz |more
                Code:
                locate ccsm |more
                Code:
                locate emerald |more

and deleted everything it found, especially in /home/username/.

Then I did this:

Code:
                sudo apt-get install compiz-kde compizconfig-settings-manager libcompizconfig-backend-kconfig compiz-fusion-* emerald
                Bwthy it also installed the nvidia-glx although I have a ati card.

Now I am playing with the rest. Smiley

I hope this helps someone here as well Smiley

F
                4 GB Ram
                Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

I'm not very good at this.

Removed all as per Fintan's instructions and reinstalled. When I type ccsm into console it gives me the following output.

garylowe@kubuntu:~$ ccsm
                  Info: No sexy-python package found, don't worry it's optional.
                  Traceback (most recent call last):
                  File "/usr/bin/ccsm", line 37, in <module>
                  import compizconfig
                  ImportError: libcompizconfig.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Any ideas? I think I'm getting close, though.

Comment

Sorry to hear that.
                    I would suggest going here:
                    http://forum.compiz-fusion.org/
                    and posting that issue including exactly what you did there.

I am not expert enough with compiz for that.

I hope you get it working
                    4 GB Ram
                    Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Thanks, Fintan and dibl for your help.

I am going to take the cowards way out. I'll wait till the final release of gutsy and do a reinstall.
                      I think that will save a lot of needless effort.

If that doesn't work, I'll talk to you then.

Cheers, Lowey

Comment

I'm not very good at this.

Removed all as per Fintan's instructions and reinstalled. When I type ccsm into console it gives me the following output.

garylowe@kubuntu:~$ ccsm
                        Info: No sexy-python package found, don't worry it's optional.
                        Traceback (most recent call last):
                        File "/usr/bin/ccsm", line 37, in <module>
                        import compizconfig
                        ImportError:: libcompizconfig.so.0 cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Any ideas? I think I'm getting close, though.
                        Well, in all my uninstalling and reinstalling I have managed to get Compiz to work properly.

Have absolutely NO idea which part of what I did worked. I THINK it may have been actually removing libcompizconfig.so.0 as well as all the other bits before reinstalling, but I wouldn't be sure. Sorry I can't shed any more light, but I told you I was getting close.

BTW, isn't compiz a big step forward from Beryl, as nice as it was? I'm actually starting to make the Windows people in my family go "Ooooooohhhhhhhhh!!!!!".

Cheers everyone, and thanks again for all your help.

Lowey

Comment

I actually still have my Beryl on my system after upgrading and it works. When I run Beryl Manager, in "Select Window Manager" section, Compiz appears there. I wonder if it works? Beryl still works.

Comment

Originally posted by MoonRise
                            I actually still have my Beryl on my system after upgrading and it works. When I run Beryl Manager, in "Select Window Manager" section, Compiz appears there. I wonder if it works? Beryl still works.
                            Interesting!

Beryl is not available in the Gutsy repos (at least not for 64-bit). But I guess if you upgrade, it may stick with the system through the upgrade.

Beryl was/is more stable on my Ubuntu Feisty installation (same hardware) than Compiz is on Gutsy Kubuntu. Compiz appears to add some features -- I have not played with all that many of them. But the mouse-wheel cube-spinning function is buggy -- spins it too fast, and then gets to a point where it won't go "forward" any more. Ctrl-Alt-arrow works OK, though, as do skydomes and cube caps. Anyone know off the top of top of your head how to make the 4 viewports have different backgrounds?

Comment

The different backgrounds for the cube faces? Still working on that one, dibl. I have most things working (at the minute) but hoping to work this one out soon.

Looking forward to when I can have fish swimming inside my cube instead of the gears, Aquamarine, I believe.

I am finding that compiz is less buggy (and a lot nicer looking) than Beryl ever was. I realize that it is beta software, but Gawd, it works nice.

Comment

Aquamarine, I believe.
                                Aquamarine is a KDE Window Decorator, analogous to Emerald for Gnome. It should be in the repos. But, I have not yet found where in the Compiz settings you choose the Window Decorator -- that was much more obvious and easy with Beryl.

Comment

Working...
                                X