This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Kmenu>Settings>Advanced Desktop Effects Settings

So I gather you guys CAN activate your plugins?
    HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
    4 GB Ram
    Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

YES, I've got a lot of it working. I've also got some residual issues:

1. My entire screen is shifted left about 2 cm., with a gray bar on the right edge. This is a Gutsy xorg or kdm issue, related to my Nvidia driver, not related to Compiz.
      2. Skydome doesn't show the graphic that I set, only the background colors.
      3. Mouse wheel doesn't work to turn cube.
      4. Upon boot and auto-starting compiz, the indicator on my panel only shows 1 desktop, but if I open the settings utility, change "Number of desktops" to "2", then suddenly 8 desktops show on the panel. When I move the setting back to "1", then the panel indicator goes back to 4, as it should. This is with "Horizontal Size" set to 4, which is what you need for the cube.

That's as far as I've gotten with it. There was a kernel upgrade and a lot of xorg and compiz updates in the past 24 hours, and I was hoping my left-shifted screen problem and some of the other issues would have been fixed, but, oh well, it's tolerable for a beta software setup.

Comment

Originally posted by dibl
        You should be able to hold down the left Ctrl and Alt keys with your left hand, and then (with your right hand) take your mouse up to either the upper left or upper right corner area, click down and "pull" the cube around. Also, holding down Ctrl and Alt and then you can use the left or right arrow to turn the cube. These controls are the same as Beryl.
        I can't even get the cube to appear.. I tried doing this on my flat desktop to see if that would make the cube appear and start to turn.. but to no avail.

I've got a number of the plugins working though. The water thing is creepy.. and the fire is funny.. but the ring switcher is the most useful so far.

Kev

Comment

This is crazy!

I was able to spin the cube with my mouse wheel, by positioning the cursor down on the panel, and then turning the mouse wheel. It worked about 3 times and quit -- now it won't work again.

@Bongo -- on the "General" menu in "Advanced Desktop Effects", did you set the "Horizontal Virtual Size" to 4, "Vertical Virtual Size" to 1, and "Number of Desktops" to 1?

Then on the "Desktop" menu, you "x" "Desktop Cube" and "Rotate Cube". That's how it works on mine. On "Effects" I have only enabled "Fading Windows" and "Wobbly Windows".

On "Window Management" I have "Application Switcher", "Move Window", "Place Window", "Scale" and "Extra WM Actions" "x"d.

I think the reason my skydome won't work is that on "Image Loading" I tried to "x" JPEG, but it pukes and defaults back to only haveing PNG and SVG "x"d. So maybe I need to convert my skydome graphics to png format.

EDIT: Confirmed -- now have lovely PNG skydome.

Comment

cool! that did it! I now have a cube.. but I've also got 12 desktops.. lol!

I can see how it would be useful.. now that I have it.

Comment

Ehhhhh -- I'm satisfied with 4 -- that's about 3 more than I am competent to manage!

If you right-click your desktop and check "configure desktop", then "multiple desktops", it needs to be set on 1,

Comment

If you right-click your desktop and check "configure desktop", then "multiple desktops", it needs to be set on 1,
                That was the first setting that was not readily understood (by me), and which took me just a bit of playing with (and looking at the results) to comprehend. At one time, I too, had more than four panes to my cube!
                Windows no longer obstructs my view.
                Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
                "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

By the way, there's a tweak you have to do to make Compiz work right in Gutsy -- I'm not sure if the problem is limited to Nvidia cards, or if it applies to other cards. It goes like this (I'm copying from ButteBlues on Ubuntu Forum):

It's a bug in the compiz wrapper.

Do this to fix it:

Code:
                  kdesu kate /usr/bin/compiz
                  Find: "GL_MAX_3D_TEXTURE_SIZE"

Replace with: "GL_MAX_TEXTURE_SIZE"

Comment

By the way, there's a tweak you have to do to make Compiz work right in Gutsy -- I'm not sure if the problem is limited to Nvidia cards, or if it applies to other cards. It goes like this (I'm copying from ButteBlues on Ubuntu Forum):

It's a bug in the compiz wrapper.

Do this to fix it:

Code:
                    kdesu kate /usr/bin/compiz
                    Find: "GL_MAX_3D_TEXTURE_SIZE"

Replace with: "GL_MAX_TEXTURE_SIZE"
                    What does this fix?

Comment

mine was already fixed

Comment

Recent updates may have taken care of it -- I didn't know. This tweak is how I got mine working as well as it is.

Comment

EDIT: Ahhhhhh --- this is interesting! When I enter "compiz" in the console, it runs ... the windows get wobbly and 4 desktops appear. But it doesn't release the console shell process -- I don't get my prompt back. So it's a running process in the console, and if I do Ctrl-C it rudely chops off all window borders, closes the console, and leaves some unfortunate residual effects, like you can only type in the console as long as you keep the cursor hovered over the console window. heh heh heh ... I think we're still waiting!
                          Did you do any good with this, dibl?

I have the same thing on my box. If I do the controlC thing, my desktop freezes as well.

I have a GEforce 6200 (Iknow, Iknow) which worked with beryl.

I installed xserver-xgl, that was the only way i could get compiz to work.

I can't get expo to work and most of the settings in ccsm won't work for me. I am concerned about running my whole desktop in a shell. Even though I have yakuake to do other necessary instructions, I am worried about security sh!t.

Is xgl only meant to be for ATI cards? Should I have done something else? I have done well with your excellent assistance in the past, perhaps we could sort a way of making this work for us all.

Or not.

And by the way, my desktop looks bloody beautiful. It's just not working the way it probably should. I can't wait it's just the standard for Gnu/Kubuntu/Linux

Cheers

Lowey

I wish I was the man my dog thinks I am.<br /><br />Registered Linux User No. 402825

Comment

Re: Kmenu&gt;Settings&gt;Advanced Desktop Effects Settings

Okay I finally got my plugins to activate/deactivate and the cube rotating.

First I went into synaptic and unistalled competely everything including emerald that was installed under "compiz".
                            Next I did this in a terminal:
                            Code:
                            locate compiz |more
                            Code:
                            locate ccsm |more
                            Code:
                            locate emerald |more
                            and deleted everything it found, especially in /home/username/.

Then I did this:

Code:
                            sudo apt-get install compiz-kde compizconfig-settings-manager libcompizconfig-backend-kconfig compiz-fusion-* emerald
                            Bwthy it also installed the nvidia-glx although I have a ati card.

All I have to do now is get rid of that stupid adept-notifier in the taskbar. :P

Now I am playing with the rest.

I hope this helps someone here as well

Chhers and go rams
                            F

4 GB Ram
                            Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Originally posted by Lowey

Did you do any good with this, dibl?
                              I did a version of what Fintan did -- I used Adept and didn't go hunting for residual files, but basically I removed every package that had the word "compiz" or "emerald" in it, and also removed the xserver-xgl package, which I apparently don't need.

Then I reinstalled the compiz and emerald packages, and ran "compiz" in the Konsole. It happily read my configuration, reported some problem with 8-bit something-or-other, and an issue that I tracked back to that Ubuntu Forum post with the wrapper fix. After I did that tweak, I ran "compiz" again, and it reported only the problem with 8-bit graphic files, and then proceeded to run (with the bugs I listed above).

So, it looks like Nvidia users don't need that xserver-xgl package at all. I'm not sure about ATI guys.

I also noticed something very odd while I was looking at my installed packages and writing this post. I seem to have every graphics driver package known to man installed on this thing! The Intel ones, the wacom, APM, ARK, ATI, avivo, cirrus, cyrix, glint .... WTF? I didn't ask to install any of them -- I'm running the Nvidia proprietary driver.

Hmmmm, I'm a little nervous to just start nuking them all --- yikes -- what to do? :P

Comment

Hmmmm, I'm a little nervous to just start nuking them all --- yikes -- what to do?
                                I would be too. I think I tried that ( granted a long time ago) and got the dependency version of a neglected womans revenge. Not fun.

I saw them as well but as long as they are not in the way who cares. it's not like we 550mb HD's anymore

4 GB Ram
                                Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Working...
                                X