Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

had to throw in the towel this morning so see you all later!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

had to throw in the towel this morning so see you all later!

just posting to let you all know that after this mornings downloads, I have had to concede defeat, and uninstall GG. It could not get past one of the downloads which was for something called 'pam' reported it so will wait now and install when everything is finished, luckily not long to wait. A big thanks to you all for the help that I have received from all of you, you have been brilliant! I will come back to Kubuntu as it is by far the best Distro in my eyes, but this morning was a situation too far. (Just got my Nvidia drivers installed as well! So thanks again guys for all your help and see you later on at the final release of GG.

TG

Re: had to throw in the towel this morning so see you all later!

Originally posted by technogran

It could not get past one of the downloads which was for something called 'pam' reported it so will wait now and install when everything is finished
    Hah! I was wondering if I was the only one whose Gutsy system got "nuked" by that thing! I managed to restart (twice) and Adept recovered, with help from a
    Code:
    sudo dpkg --configure -a
    and I got back to the pre-update state of instability. TG, you might want to try that before pulling the plug.

By the way, speaking of instability and waiting for better things, is there anyone besides me who was crazy enough to install Xgl on his Gutsy system? It actually runs, using about 3% of my CPU resources, but of course compiz won't run on it yet, so it's kind of a "novelty process". It "hides" the Nvidia driver from me -- the Nvidia Settings icon is still in my system folder, but when I attempt to open it I get a little "you're not REALLY running the Nvidia driver" notice (in a window with an Nvidia logo on it). Which is funny, because the Nvidia splash logo is the first thing I see before the GUI comes up, just like before Xgl was installed.

Comment

Thanks for that dibl, but I know when I am beat" Think the Kubuntu debs are trying to sort the wheat from the chaff!
      You guys are so up on it all, that I knew you would be able to get yourself out of it, but dibl doesn't that mean that you won't be able to install any updates now? I couldn't figure out which one was the problem one, but when I reported it, there were plenty of others , one report said something like' when you don't have a particular program installed, then it shouldn't try to install updates for that program' or words to that effect.
      I was way out of my depth, and what with other stuff, funny how Tribe 1,2 and 3 seemed so stable, and since then we seem to have been going backwards, unless its just my set up. Anyways dibl, I can't spend any more time pouring over the keyboard swearing profusely!!
      It will soon be October and then luckily we should be able to install the finished article.

TG See you all then.

Comment

My answer is to use daily-builds to get over hitches like this one.

So if you should happen to get curious in the meantime.....

http://cdimages.ubuntu.com/kubuntu/daily/current/

The usual warnings about running alpha software apply of course, but for those reading this who don't know, the extra risk of using daily builds is that a given build produced on given day may not be installable at all - try the following days build if the first days won't install.

To minimise the very real risk of being left without a usable system I now dual boot feisty and gutsy using a shared /home - if gutsy isn't playing on a particular day I can now pop over to feisty for a while...

IMHO reviewing the latest development period, gutsy seems to have had fewer of these show stopper moments to date than feisty did while it was in development.

take care
        Chris

Comment

Originally posted by technogran

dibl doesn't that mean that you won't be able to install any updates now? I couldn't figure out which one was the problem one
          No, as far as I can tell, my Gutsy system is completely updated and "stable" (whatever that means in the context of an alpha-version OS!). After the mid-update breakage, and a couple of re-starts, I ran the apt-get commands "update", "install", and "clean" and it all seemed to get sorted out. But it was a bit borked there for while, after the famous "PAM" module got inserted.

I had the prior experience of installing Feisty when it was only at Herd 3 or something like that, so I kinda-sorta knew what I was getting into, although I've never seen a "PAM" experience before ...

I have a very stable Feisty installation on another hard drive, and I have my /home directory on a separate partition, so I'm fully prepared for Gutsy to crash and burn, if that's what happens. That's the attitude you need to work with these pre-release versions -- you dare not depend on them for anything important.

Comment

are you guys talking about the pam configuration having to restart different services? (like cron, kdm, & what not?)
            i let it restart those (including kdm) and of course as i expected it nuked itself. but when i restarted there wasn't a problem at all....
            some of the packages weren't configured, but none of them were critical or anything like that. so when i configured them in synaptic, i just removed kdm from the list of the services pam wanted to restart. (also cuz it would get restarted eventually anyway).

no problem for me... (assuming we're talking about the same thing).
            <br />

Comment

Originally posted by disturbedite

are you guys talking about the pam configuration having to restart different services? (like cron, kdm, & what not?)
              Yep, that sounds right. Did you upgrade via CLI command? I can see where that would have been less dramatic than watching your Adept Updater crash and burn, along with the rest of the desktop ....

Comment

no, i did it all with synaptic, not cli...
                <br />

Comment

Hehe... I actually fell for this one too... Can't believe I told it it was fine to restart KDM.

When it killed KDM and dropped me at the TTY1 prompt, I did 'sudo dpkg --configure -a && sudo apt-get update; sudo apt-get dist-upgrade && sudo /etc/init.d/kdm start'... and continued on my way.
                  Specs:&nbsp; Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 (@3Ghz), G.SKILL 4GB DDR2 1066, ASUS Striker II Formula MB, Asus EN9800GTX+ Dark Knight, ABS Tagan BZ800 PS, Antec 900 Case.

Comment

i didn't even have to do that, i just rebooted and everything was fine even tho some packages didn't get configured. as i said, i just configured them using synaptic...
                    <br />

Comment

Hey You Guys !! (daughters a 'Goonies' fan, I am back in business, I missed my Kubuntu so much, no other distro comes near it! Anyways decided to try again and this time used Symatic to update. Same thing only I just re-started and voila!! everything worked okay! (says she with fingers crossed!) So I am a happy bunny this morning (till the next hiccup, gulp)
                      So I am back with you.

TG

Comment

Mine got nuked but I have the complication that I can't see anything from the grub screen though to when KDM kicks in, I have a T61 IBM laptop with the new Nvidia quatra video card. What I had to do was boot into fail safe mode so I couls answer the questions on the screen.

Cary

BTW every 30th boot is interesting takes 5 mins to boot with only black screen! very annoying. (check disk)

Cary
                        The Ubuntu Counter Project - user number # 7859, registered Linux user 470405 Lenovo T510 Kubuntu Trusty 64bit, Intel Core i5-560M, 8 GB PC3-DDR3 SDRAM - 1067 MHz, NVIDIA NVS 3100m PCI Express, Wireless Centrino N 6300 My website http://www.qah.org.au

Comment

@caryb
                          i think that can be configured to check however many boots you want it to, but i don't know how....heh
                          <br />

Comment

Working...
                          X