This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

-rt kernel works with Restricted Manager/Proprietary Driver now

Probably this would have worked the other day when I tried the 2.6.22-10-rt kernel and crashed and burned, but for anyone who is interested, here is the sequence that will get you to a -rt kernel WITH Nvidia driver functioning. It also maybe that the newer kernel 2.6.22-11-rt is behaving better:

1. Install Gutsy with the default -generic kernel (for your architecture).
    2. Install your Nvidia or ATI driver your favorite way (mine is Envy), configure xorg.conf, and nvidia-settings. Note -- since Envy has not yet been released for Gutsy, it gets a little tricky to use Envy -- see the 29 July post. But it works if you modify his code as he advises, at least on my rig.
    3. When everything is set up correctly on the system running the -generic kernel, then you can mark the -rt kernel for installation. Of course your boot menu will be modified and the -rt kernel will be inserted at the top of the list.
    4. When you reboot to the -rt kernel, your video driver will be broken. At the command line just
    Code:
    sudo envy -t
    and at the end of the script, have it write to the xorg.conf file, and you will be back in business with the same configuration that you had set up before with the -generic kernel.

8)
Working...
X