This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Drop OpenOffice for printer drivers

FF left out printer drivers for the Epson Stylus CX-series due to lack of space on the CD.

It's not easy to install them. Didn't find out my self although I have downloaded the driver file.

I Suggest OpenOffice is left out for a download solution and the essential printer drivers reinstated. OpO is very easy to download and install.

Re: Drop OpenOffice for printer drivers

It is easy, it's just not obvious.

Open Adept and mark the package "foomatic-gutenprintdb" (or something close to that -- I'm not able to see the package list at the moment). Install it.

Now when you open your "Kmenu>System Settings>Printers, and click "Add", when your printer is shown under "Gutenprint" printers, and you click it, your model of Epson printer will show up on the list.

Comment

Originally posted by Thulemanden
      I Suggest OpenOffice is left out for a download solution and the essential printer drivers reinstated. OpO is very easy to download and install.
      Probably won't happen...however, there might be light at the end of the tunnel, as there are plans to replace openoffice with koffice sometime in the future...that will free up space for other things.

One also has to take into consideration that not all machines are connected to the internet, installing openoffice (multiple packages) offline is a bit trickier than installing a single package...also some sort of office suite can be considered essential to 'all' users as additional printer support might not. But like I said maybe openoffice won't hog CD-space in the future.

Comment

How about just a note on the printed set up panel notifying owner of "strange" printer hardware how they can go about getting what they need. (link, etc)
        HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
        4 GB Ram
        Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

It seems the further *buntu travels the more thing that users expect to have are being left behind. Sure there is usually a way to get these things but it seems to be a secrete. With some of the biggest problems like printers and wifi being overcome and then not providing drivers in a new release or the drivers no longer function.

If packages were left out of the release the should create an add on disc or something similar. Even if it was just a total package update once you installed. I know updating is one of the first things i do.....

Just ranting.

eriefisher
          ~$sudo make me a sandwich

Comment

Working...
          X