This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Root login KDE in Gutsy tribe 5

I have tribe 5 and in previous versions if I want to login and run as root, I just sudo change the root passwd and the edit the kdmrc allowrootlogin=true and I can run as root all I want.
    Gutsy does not seem to allow me as root even with these changes at least to launch KDE.

I do not share my desktop with anyone, I hate using sudo all the time, so does anyone know what change I can make so KDE will allow me as root.

Re: Root login KDE in Gutsy tribe 5

To avoid unreasonably hazardous root log-ins as well as "sudoism" I'd rather set up the (given) root account properly - as described i.a. in this text.

Comment

Can't you just
      Code:
      sudo su
      and be root for a long as you please? And then
      Code:
      exit
      takes you back to Mr. User.

Comment

Ditto, don't abuse root.
        HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
        4 GB Ram
        Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Hi kernelsandirs
          I for one agree with you, GUI is the way of the future, and despite the sudo evangelism in ubuntuland, the web and (K)ubuntu should be democratic, in the ancient Greek sense (ie power to the people).
          In Debian land they are not so protective of GUI root, they say, "if you break it you get to keep both halves". We live and learn from our mistakes, on our own machines anyway.
          Root GUI login works OK for me on tribe 5, and I do not abuse my power believe me.

first in console

sudo passwd root
          user password ****
          root password ********
          confirm *******
          then sudo kate
          edit etc/kde3/kdm/kdmrc
          save as
          reboot and away you go
          Cheers
          El Zorro 8)

Originally posted by kernelsandirs
          I have tribe 5 and in previous versions if I want to login and run as root, I just sudo change the root passwd and the edit the kdmrc allowrootlogin=true and I can run as root all I want.
          Gutsy does not seem to allow me as root even with these changes at least to launch KDE.

I do not share my desktop with anyone, I hate using sudo all the time, so does anyone know what change I can make so KDE will allow me as root.
          It should be as simple as it can be, but not simpler than it should be---Albert Einstein

Comment

Working...
          X