X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Slow DVD playback

Hi there,

My hardware is bit old a P3 866Mhz with 384M memory, overall it is fast enough for general use except for DVD playback, I got lot of drop frames and freezing during playback even in reduced size, but I don't have that problem with previous version, I suspect it is the display engine setting problem. I am using an ATI Rage II PCI and the system recognized it, but I don't know how to setup Xine for it, usually I don't have to touch that it works out of the box. I don't know if VLC is using the same engine but it is slow too, any idea ?
    Do you Yahoo ? No I hiccup only :P

Re: Slow DVD playback

i have never used vlc on linux, so i don't know what type of options it has. (i'd recommend smplayer or kaffeine ). if vlc has the option to select the video driver, try settings it to xshm (xshim). thats seems to boost performance for me on my 5 year old system.
    here is a breakdown of the different drivers i use & why:
    x11 (& to a little bit lesser extent xv) work fine for standard resolution to ntsc/pal resolution.
    but for high def xshm (for reasons i don't know) produces better performance. i run full 1080p video (w/ 5.1 ss) at virtually full framerate.

my system specs are
    p4 1.8Ghz (no HT)
    640MBs PC2100 DDR
    intel integrated i845g video chip
    (i don't know if this matters, but i also have direct rendering enabled with the intel video driver, not the i810 driver [the i810 driver has now been obseleted if i remember correctly, with gutsy at least]).
    <br />

Comment

I tried all Xine based player they all have serious drop frame and freezing problem, on VLC I set the buffer size to 300 and it drops less and more useable, I don't know what caused that, setting buffer size on Xine doesn't help much.

Comment

check if dma is actually turned on. I had this problem once and it was caused by screwed-up firmware in my DVD drive.

Comment

Thanks, but I couldn't start 'disk and filesystems' it said the module could not be loaded, tried Kcontrol nothing happened no error.

Comment

yeah, that module is broken right now in gutsy. its a known problem.
            <br />

Comment

Since the module is broken how do I enable DMA ??

Comment

Working...
              X