X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Slow Internet since update..

Hi tribers

Since the update saturday my firefox, thunderbird, skype, superkaramba liquid weather (had to turn it off) konqueror are very slow connecting to the internet and loading messages, pages, etc.

I did this:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=6841

and it helped a bit.

For example it took well over 25 seconds to load this page (kubuntu forum) before the above changes.
    After the changes it still takes 10-12 seconds.

This was not an issue before saturday.

In Mint cassandra kde community 3.0 which is feisty basically and a deleted cache the same page is almost immediate 1.5 to 2.5 sec..

The same applies to all other things internet.

Has something slowed gutsy down to the speed of a snail??

My connection is fine. I tested it here:
    http://speedtest.ins.hsr.ch/
    and it gives me this:

Download speed: 3700 Kbits/s
    Upload speed: 307 Kbits/s

Has anyone else seen this?

Any ideas?

Greets
    Gandolf

Re: Slow Internet since update..

No one?

I know tribes are alpha/beta. If I speak chineese tell me.

I think I'll just stick with mint until the tribes have figured this out.

I would love to point a bug at launchpad, but what do I say?

How do I diagnos what is going on?

Comment

Do you have an install of ubuntu gutsy tribe?
      I am getting the same with the kubuntu version but the ubuntu version is fast as ever.

Just wonderig if this is a kubuntu issue.
      HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
      4 GB Ram
      Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Originally posted by Gandolf
        Since the update saturday my firefox, thunderbird, skype, superkaramba liquid weather (had to turn it off) konqueror are very slow connecting to the internet and loading messages, pages, etc.

I did this:
        http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=6841
        I have the same issue. It takes now much longer for Firefox to load a page. I have installed 64-bit beta gutsy and 64-bit Firefox.

I have read the thread but what is suggested there does not seem to be the right solution for this issue.
        Kubuntu user since August 2007&nbsp; <br /><br />CPU : Intel® Core™2 Duo processor, E6550-2,33GHz,1333MHz,4MBL2 BOX<br />RAM : DDR 2, 2x 512 MB . 800MHz . CL 5,0&nbsp; Kingston<br />VGA : GAINWARD Nvidia 8500GT 256MB, SilentFX, GDDR3, 2xDVI, PCI-E<br />Karmic Koala 32-bit

Comment

Any updates on this slow problem? Mine is not an internet access problem but appears to be a resource issue. I cannot open more than 2 or 3 windows in Gutsy, or the poor hard drive goes into meltdown and the system grinds to a halt. Open Office and a large picture in GIMP requires a hard reboot. It was fine with Feisty. I'm using MEPIS at the moment, just to try and do some work and to write this post. Greg
          (512MB shared memory, KUBUNTU 7.10)

Comment

Mine is not an internet access problem but appears to be a resource issue.
            Open a terminal and type
            Code:
            this will show you the usage of any app you are using. Leave it open and use your Kubuntu as usual and see what is hogging your cpu/ram. That will get us closer to the problem.
            4 GB Ram
            Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Do you still have strigi installed and running at startup? Strigi is a HOG. If you do, two options: 1) uninstall strigi-daemon (only) 2) leave strigi installed and select to not have the daemon run at startup.
              Windows no longer obstructs my view.
              Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
              "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Yes snowhog . I was having the same suspicions.
                4 GB Ram
                Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Thanks for the
                  Code:
                  tip. Very illuminating. I had noticed strigi before and had uninstalled it. I have a package called
                  wcg_hpf2_rosett
                  that is using a lot of resource. I think this is my http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/ boinc package, which is supposed to quietly run in the background. I will monitor it from now on and get on their forums. Why this has happened since the upgrade to Gutsy, I don't know, but maybe it was beginning to be a problem before but wasn't critical. Greg

Comment

Sound good. keep us posted.
                    4 GB Ram
                    Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Here is my update on this issue. My internet has come back to normal. I think this must be due to installed updates since I am not aware of doing anything special in this respect.

Also a couple of days ago I did a complete reinstall of the system. Before I had 3 OS on 1 machine : Kubuntu 32 bit Feisty, Kubuntu 64 bit Gutsy and Vista (that has come with the PC). I am running now just Kubuntu 32 bit Gutsy. I have no issue with the internet speed.
                      Kubuntu user since August 2007&nbsp; <br /><br />CPU : Intel® Core™2 Duo processor, E6550-2,33GHz,1333MHz,4MBL2 BOX<br />RAM : DDR 2, 2x 512 MB . 800MHz . CL 5,0&nbsp; Kingston<br />VGA : GAINWARD Nvidia 8500GT 256MB, SilentFX, GDDR3, 2xDVI, PCI-E<br />Karmic Koala 32-bit

Comment

Working...
                      X