• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Printing with Samsung ML-2010 Kaput in Tribe 3---this IS a software issue

Please see
    Re: True nature of the problem
    at the end of this thread

Hi printing with my Samsung ML-2010 is out of order, printing jobs are placed in Kjobviewer, but not processed due to a software glitch I believe.
    Strangely, these jobs are printed as one reboots, just as the desktop is loading. After desktop loading, printing is kaput again.
    It is using the ML-2010 footmatic/gdi driver, which worked before the last update, so something in ? cups gets in the way of print jobs, some software glitch.
    Nothing wrong with the printer, it works fine in XP, and KDE3.55 in etch, Dapper and feisty-fawn, so wass givs I wonder.
    Curiously, an older HP Deskjet 895Cxi prints OK in tribe 3, whist Samsung ML-2010 laser will not!
    Deleting Samsung ML-2010 and reinstalling does not help either.

Oh FYI Debian Lenny after apt-get dist-upgrade does the same thing as described above, perhaps points at the cups package??
    Best
    El Zorro 8)
    It should be as simple as it can be, but not simpler than it should be---Albert Einstein

Re: Printing with Samsung ML-2010 Kaput in Tribe 3---this IS a software issue

Wow, that is weird. I agree with your appraisal that it's probably due to CUPS updates.

There were some new CUPS packages pushed withing the last two days, did they change any of the symptoms for you?
    Specs:  Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 (@3Ghz), G.SKILL 4GB DDR2 1066, ASUS Striker II Formula MB, Asus EN9800GTX+ Dark Knight, ABS Tagan BZ800 PS, Antec 900 Case.

Comment

Hi 3vi1 nope,
      the latest updates no better, one now cannot even see the printers, unless logged as administrator, so even more bugs.
      It will only print with the Samsung as tribe 3 loads the K desktop, but after that no printing at all unless you care to reboot--most inconvenient, but definitely a software glitch.

All these Alpha upates lately seem to kill something fundamental, first networking, then openoffice and now printing.
      Quite an Alpha record perhaps, but then they warned, be prepared for minor software glitches though.
      Oh well I'll download Kgutsty tribe 4, wonder if it will be any better?
      Not holding my breath though!
      Cheers
      El Zorro 8)
      It should be as simple as it can be, but not simpler than it should be---Albert Einstein

Comment

I Don't know if this helps, but I am using splix driver for my ML-1510. Works better for me than default driver. Just
        Code:
        sudo aptitude install splix
        and then use ppd file from /usr/share/ppd/splix

Comment

Hi Ramses tried this too,
          and the Samsung ML-2010, with this ppd file downloaded from Linux printing appears stopped.
          One can restart it then it is stopped again within seconds, so of course, none of the cups updates have fixed the problem so far.
          In fact the printers are now invisible to the user, despite 2 new kubuntu-desktops.
          Does this happen on your machine too?
          So no joy here, but thanx for your thoughts.
          Best
          El Zorro 8)

Originally posted by Ramses
          I Don't know if this helps, but I am using splix driver for my ML-1510. Works better for me than default driver. Just
          Code:
          sudo aptitude install splix
          and then use ppd file from /usr/share/ppd/splix

Comment

Printing works for me in Gutsy. Did you install the printer in administrator mode in system settings? I installed mine as regular user.

Comment

Hi again Ramses,
              Gutsy, for some reason renders my Samsung ML-2010 unable to print in Gutsy desktop but spits out printing when one reboots in that session just as the desktop loads, then refuses to print whist in the desktop.
              An old HP Deskjet 895Cxi prints however as mentioned above, so it only singles out the B@W laser for trouble, really the far side in quirky software troubles. As mentioned Debian Lenny was fine, then did the same printing refusal, after an apt-get dist-upgrade, so I guess the cups package in Kgutsy is a snapshot of the Debian Lenny package with the same problem, whatever it is beats me.
              The printers were installed as user, but now are invisible as user after further updates in Kgutsy. and require an administrator login to be again visible and accessible.
              Is the printer invisible to you also as user now?

Also, the samsung ML-2010 will not print under root login either (Configd by editing etc/kde3/kdm/kdmrc), though visible and accessible.

Originally posted by Ramses
              Printing works for me in Gutsy. Did you install the printer in administrator mode in system settings? I installed mine as regular user.

Comment

Is the printer invisible to you also as user now?
                It is and is working fine. Maybe you should reinstall when tribe5 is ready.

Comment

A shot in the dark, but does your user account have both, lpadmin and scanner listed in your Secondary groups?
                  Windows no longer obstructs my view.
                  Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
                  "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I have seen the same issue in fedora-7 3 months ago and it turns out to be an issue with the latest version of CUPS.

I don't know if they solved the issue yet.

I am sticking with edgy on the computer that serves the ML 2010 until it is solved.

al

Comment

Re: True nature of the problem

Hi
                      After some Sherlock Holmes type sleuthing and much experimentation, I have found the following and reported it as a bug to Debian.
                      The true problem resides in newer kernels 2.6.21-2, and onwards as everything goes fine with printing Kaffeine present and all with the older kernel 2.6.18-4-486 #1 Mon Mar 26 16:39:10 UTC 2007 i686 GNU/Linux in Lenny.
                      Unfortunately, Kgutsy does not leave the older kernels accessible it seems, thus Debian experiments were necessary.
                      I hope Kgutsy may leave the older kernels available in future to allow such testing, as this is an opportunity missed for development..
                      There is a *bug in the kernels after 2.6.18-4-486 #1* with regard to the Samsung ML-2010 and I hope it can be fixed. However I suspect the fix is more likely in the Debian camp than in Gutsy.
                      Please note the same version of cups was present with both kernels, so cups is probably not at fault.
                      Regards
                      El Zorro 8)

Comment

Working...
                      X