This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Amarok Disappeared

After the latest updates, amarok was uninstalled. I tried to install it again, but it complained that python-qt3 wasn't going to be installed. So I tried to install python-qt3, and it said:
    Code:
     python-qt3 depends on python-sip4 (<= 4.7); however:
     Version of python-sip4 on system is 4.7-1ubuntu1.
    Well, it seemed to me that the version installed should meet that requirement, but i guess not. I ended up hacking the deb file for python-qt3 so that it would depend on <= 4.7-1ubuntu1. It worked! I installed amarok, and it's been running for awhile now with no problem.

I've uploaded the hacked debs to one of my sites for anyone else with this problem who (like me) needs amarok.

http://healthcarelinen.com/other/pyt...ntu2_amd64.deb
    http://healthcarelinen.com/other/pyt...untu2_i386.deb

EDIT: btw, if you do install these debs, you'll get a line saying "packages have been kept back: python-qt3" when you try to update your system. It's harmless, but when a new python-qt3 package is available, you'll have to uninstall python-qt3 (which will remove amarok as well) and then the update will go normally.

Re: Amarok Disappeared

The root cause is that you installed a package that was in 'kept back' status. I suggest simply not doing an 'apt-get sudo dist-upgrade' until the amarok packages are ready in a few days. "sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade" will tell you if it's still kept back.

When you updated python-sip4 today, it removed amarok, amarok-xine, apport-qt, gdebi-kde, hwdb-client-kde, kde-guidance, kde-guidance-powermanager, kubuntu-desktop, language-selector-qt, python-kde3, python-qt3, python-qt4, and software-properties-kde

Always review what might be removed on apt-get dist-upgrade (due to incomplete pre-reqs) to make sure you're not jumping the gun.

The problem with what you did is that now any bug reports you have for any of the dependant packages will be worthless, because they're not running against the right version of pre-reqs.
    Specs:&nbsp; Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 (@3Ghz), G.SKILL 4GB DDR2 1066, ASUS Striker II Formula MB, Asus EN9800GTX+ Dark Knight, ABS Tagan BZ800 PS, Antec 900 Case.

Comment

Originally posted by 3vi1
      I suggest simply not doing an 'apt-get sudo dist-upgrade' until the amarok packages are ready in a few days.
      I'd second that suggestion. It's a little too late for myself however.

When you updated python-sip4 today, it removed amarok, amarok-xine, apport-qt, gdebi-kde, hwdb-client-kde, kde-guidance, kde-guidance-powermanager, kubuntu-desktop, language-selector-qt, python-kde3, python-qt3, python-qt4, and software-properties-kde

Always review what might be removed on apt-get dist-upgrade (due to incomplete pre-reqs) to make sure you're not jumping the gun.
      I did jump the gun, but when I saw updated xorg related packages and linux-restricted-modules, I couldn't resist. I recently filed a bug report w.r.t fglrx and xorg, and I hoped that this update would fix it.

The problem with what you did is that now any bug reports you have for any of the dependant packages will be worthless, because they're not running against the right version of pre-reqs.
      I don't plan to update my bug report, or report any others as long as this hacked package is installed. Luckily, it's very easy to undue. In the mean time, I still have my favorite program, and I'll leave those packages up for the time being just in case anyone else is in a similar position.

Comment

Originally posted by resin
        I did jump the gun, but when I saw updated xorg related packages and linux-restricted-modules, I couldn't resist. I recently filed a bug report w.r.t fglrx and xorg, and I hoped that this update would fix it.
        Those packages weren't related to the kept back package. If you had done an apt-get update & upgrade (not dist-upgrade), it would have upgraded those particular packages fine without removing amarok.
        Specs:&nbsp; Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 (@3Ghz), G.SKILL 4GB DDR2 1066, ASUS Striker II Formula MB, Asus EN9800GTX+ Dark Knight, ABS Tagan BZ800 PS, Antec 900 Case.

Comment

Those packages weren't related to the kept back package. If you had done an apt-get update & upgrade (not dist-upgrade), it would have upgraded those particular packages fine without removing amarok.
          You're right. Like I said, I jumped the gun. If there are any others that did as well, then I hope they find the packages helpful.

Comment

i just skimmed over this thread, and i noticed it earlier today, but yeah, make sure you read what you're doing (or what your package manager wants to do) before actually doing it.

but we've all done this at least once...
            <br />

Comment

Oh, I'm no smarter than anyone else - I've done it once before too. Live and learn.

Comment

Working...
              X