This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Blank desktop after boot up

In some ocassion I got a blank desktop after boot up, it is after complete loading of KDE components, I only see the mouse cursor and the SKIM toolbar which I installed, I can't get a menu so must force to reboot, and it returns normal next boot up, any idea ?
    Do you Yahoo ? No I hiccup only :P

Re: Blank desktop after boot up

First, you shouldn't need to reboot the full computer. Pressing CTRL+ALT+BACKSPACE should reboot just the GUI.

Now, I'll bet for some problem with your KDE settings. Create a new user and login with it. If the problem only appears with your old user, them it's a settings problem.

Javier.

Comment

First of all some correction to my post, when fresh boot up the loading stuck at windows manager but not hang, if I click the mouse I will get a blank desktop plus SKIM tool bar which I installed, nothing more, the 2nd logon w/o reboot fixed that, but cold boot bring back the problem. Yes the new account doesn't have this problem but why ?
      Do you Yahoo ? No I hiccup only :P

Comment

Originally posted by lotech
        First of all some correction to my post, when fresh boot up the loading stuck at windows manager but not hang, if I click the mouse I will get a blank desktop plus SKIM tool bar which I installed, nothing more, the 2nd logon w/o reboot fixed that, but cold boot bring back the problem. Yes the new account doesn't have this problem but why ?
        You could rename your .kde and try copying sections back at a time until you find the bit causing the problem.

I've run into a similar problem once in the past. I renamed .kde, copied back only my app settings (it's hard to remember all those IM accounts in Kopete <g>), and redone my desktop manually. The problem never occurred again.
        Specs:&nbsp; Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 (@3Ghz), G.SKILL 4GB DDR2 1066, ASUS Striker II Formula MB, Asus EN9800GTX+ Dark Knight, ABS Tagan BZ800 PS, Antec 900 Case.

Comment

Originally posted by lotech
          Yes the new account doesn't have this problem but why ?
          Probably something is wrong in the kde settings. Do as 3vi1 suggest. Rename .kde, log out, log in. This will get you a new default KDE settings.

If you use some KDE programs and want your configuration or data back, copy it from the renamed dir to the .kde dir that is created at boot.

.kde is a hidden folder on your home. You will need to check View->Show hidden files to see it. Click on it with the right mouse button, select rename and call it something like "kde-backup"

Program data are in .kde/share/apps.

Hope that it helps.

Javier.

Comment

Working...
          X