Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

kpowersave vs powermanager vs klaptop vs ...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

kpowersave vs powermanager vs klaptop vs ...

Hej!

As I always update: which powermanaging frontend is the default in Gutsy Gibbon? I would like to try that instead of kpowersave which was default/preferred of klaptop in Dapper Drake.

And is it OK to deinstall kpowersave *AND* powersaved in case it's another frontend? Or is powersaved still the backend to use? I'm a little confused as configuration setting seem to get duplicates in every update. powersaved, acpi, hald, ...

TIA for pointers.
    Vitus

Re: kpowersave vs powermanager vs klaptop vs ...

At least in Dapper, if you install kpowersave, it will remove powersaved.
    Don't know about Gutsy, but the system installs what is suitable for your rig. For example, I have powernow_k8 loaded, which wouldn't make sense to load if an Intel CPU was present.

Comment

Re: kpowersave vs powermanager vs klaptop vs ...

Originally posted by DMurray
      At least in Dapper, if you install kpowersave, it will remove powersaved.
      Actually no. kpowersave is the frontend for powersaved so it will require it's installation. kpowersave will conflict with klaptopdaemon in Dapper. There is no such conflict with kde-guidance-powermanager in Gutsy.

Which one to use seems to be a religious thing: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/KubuntuPowerManagementFeedback At least in Edgy?

Don't know about Gutsy, but the system installs what is suitable for your rig. For example, I have powernow_k8 loaded, which wouldn't make sense to load if an Intel CPU was present.
      That's a totally different story. powernow_k8 contains the code to actually switch freq/voltage in your CPU. Like p4_clockmod for my Celeron M.

Comment

Working...
      X