This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Amarok hangs

Added the following radio streaming ( works with Realplayer, I don't know if should work in
    Amarok as well) and it hangs each time I try to play it:

rtsp://realserver.kataweb.it/broadcast/radiodeejay.rm

Re: Amarok hangs

i think it only accepts mp3 shoutcast playlists.
    insomma, qualcosa che cominci con http:// e finisca con .pls
    i am not 100% sure.
    you might want to look up amarok's documentation on the subject.
    hth
    gnu/linux is not windoze

Comment

Originally posted by jankushka
      i think it only accepts mp3 shoutcast playlists.
      insomma, qualcosa che cominci con http:// e finisca con .pls
      i am not 100% sure.
      you might want to look up amarok's documentation on the subject.
      hth
      Sure but still the program should not hang with bogus input

Comment

Originally posted by kalman
        Agreed.

It surprises me that Amarok's GUI hangs when you try to play stations whose codecs aren't supported; The thing freezes for 20 or 30 seconds... it makes no sense that the GUI thread would also be doing the networking.
        Specs:  Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 (@3Ghz), G.SKILL 4GB DDR2 1066, ASUS Striker II Formula MB, Asus EN9800GTX+ Dark Knight, ABS Tagan BZ800 PS, Antec 900 Case.

Comment

Originally posted by 3vi1
          Originally posted by kalman
          Agreed.

It surprises me that Amarok's GUI hangs when you try to play stations whose codecs aren't supported; The thing freezes for 20 or 30 seconds... it makes no sense that the GUI thread would also be doing the networking.
          So you have same behave using that stream on Amarok? I have as well Firefox hanging randomly
          jumping around watching videos on this site: http://www.spikedhumor.com/
          like open some tabs, watch a video and while the video is going on then close the tab, and so on
          I'm not able to replicate it

Comment

No, I wasn't talking about that stream in particular - just general experiences with Amarok:

Many times, I can click on an internet radio station and it will hang for 10 to 20 seconds. Finally it redraws the GUI and tells me there was no suitable input plugin or demuxer or something. Then, I'll click the same radio station again and it starts playing fine.

After getting one to play, I can listen indefinitely (so I know the original error wasn't because the station was playing station IDs in an unrecognized format or something).

I really like Amarok, but that's one thing that has always annoyed me about it. Especially the way the network operation seems to block the redrawing of the GUI. Many impatient people would assume it just crashed.
            Specs:  Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 (@3Ghz), G.SKILL 4GB DDR2 1066, ASUS Striker II Formula MB, Asus EN9800GTX+ Dark Knight, ABS Tagan BZ800 PS, Antec 900 Case.

Comment

(..)
              Many times, I can click on an internet radio station and it will hang for 10 to 20 seconds. Finally it redraws the GUI and tells me there was no suitable input plugin or demuxer or something. Then, I'll click the same radio station again and it starts playing fine.
              (..)

I have been seeing exactly the same thing in Amarok for ages (feisty, gutsy,...). So far, I have thought, I
              am only one. It is definitely an annoying thing.

Comment

Working...
              X