X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: adept package manager?

Originally posted by UnicornRider
    If, however, the packages constituting the Adept interface were in a disorder of sorts (as in the case at hand), reverting to "plain APT/DPKG" and/or to another interface (read: Synaptic) ought to be a useful work-around.
    Interesting -- thanks for straightening me out on that! Seems one would be wise to keep SEVERAL package managers available, huh?

Comment

Yeah, thats why I use synaptic
      HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
      4 GB Ram
      Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Originally posted by dibl
        Seems one would be wise to keep SEVERAL package managers available, huh?
        Again, since this is crucial: there is no other package manager than APT/DPKG (on Debian Linux, that is ...).

Interfaces to this, on the other hand, are there several, amongst them Synaptic and Adept. But these are merely graphical user interfaces - which is why they are interchangeable (somehow, at least ...).

Comment

Yes, and synaptic seems to communicate better with apt/dpkg than adept. at least up until now and IMHO and especially for those lazy people like me who hate typing if not expressly necessary I have enough typing letters, contracts and other stuff.
          4 GB Ram
          Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

**Warning - Long winded post**
            Hi all, as a newb I had the "Cannot open Adept Data Base" problem about 3 days after the initial install of Gutsy and believing I was at fault, looked for, found and used the multi-line option to repair it in Konsole. That worked for about a day or so until another run of updates and then after reboot Adept_Manager went south again.
            Like others have stated, I also installed Synaptic as being primarily a user and supporter of Windows, I have been spoiled by the GUI and was getting tired of using the command line for updates. But, Kubuntu comes with Adept, so Adept should work - shouldn't it?
            Anyway, I'm a persistent sort of chap and decided to try another tack. I went down the Windows path, when an add on stops working properly or doesn't work at all, remove it, reboot and then put it back - guess what, no more problems. I'm not saying that Adept or Synaptic is the better it's just that as a long time member of Experts-Exchange, I believe the idea of the forums is to try to help get the bits working that are supposed to.
            Anyway, I am enjoying the Kubuntu experience so far and hope to become a regular here as well.
            I hope this may be of use to anyone still having problems with Adept_Manager and the 'unreadable database'.

Comment

First of all welcome

Second and as you probably well know gutsy is alpha and adept is being completely revamped. It will take a few more updates /-grades but in the meantime apt-get is the underlying stable way to go (get ). Synaptic (without wanting to hark) is still a very stable and tried option.

Yes adept should work and does usually but as rog pointed out many things are happening on that front as well.

enjoy and cheers
              fintan
              4 GB Ram
              Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Originally posted by PCGuru

That worked for about a day or so until another run of updates and then after reboot Adept_Manager went south again.
                This is all real normal for pre-release versions -- remember how it went with Feisty?

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3080271.0

Comment

I think all of us do :P
                  4 GB Ram
                  Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Working...
                  X