This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some major crashes

Alright, so I believed I did everything right but I'm pretty sure I can contribute most of this to my crappy system (as I've always had trouble with it since the beginning through XP and Kubuntu).

Now, reason it doesn't bother me much is because it's better the use the worst system to test out programs and figure out the bugs then use the best and hope everyone else has the same.

Anyways, few main problems from upgrading from Fiesty to Gutsy.

I keep having trouble that once and a while it'll tell me that my panel has crashed, then it'll just restart the panel and give me a long script (Happened while I was in Fiesty, I have that crash error).

Next the original Adept Package Manager can't be run at all. It says "The APT Database could not be opened!" Then tells me to use 'apt-setup' or 'apt-get update'. Neither would update it properly and 'apt-setup' wouldn't even run, it was unrecognized. I luckily already installed Synaptic (yes, I've tried to delete, and re-install Adept with Synaptic) and I'm now using that to manage the upgrades.

I had a lot of trouble with Thunderbird. I had to re-install that with Synaptic and it worked out fine afterwards (I had to get a new icon from the K Menu since the one on the desktop was from the older system.

Every time I log onto my computer it says, I had a major crash or something.

Thanks for taking the time to read, I know, lotta problems. Hopefully someone will get to them, as I don't know enough about programming, if you do thanks, much appricated.

Cheers,
    Ash

Re: Some major crashes

Originally posted by Ash13
    Adept Package Manager can't be run at all
    In short: just kick it 8) in long: read this (et sqq.)

Every time I log onto my computer it says, I had a major crash or something.
    Ooops, interesting could you, please, elaborate on that (read: post the original error message) ...?

Comment

Hmmm, I tried to re-create the problem this afternoon and it's working fine now? It's weird, but how I can best describe it was the same problem everyone had on bootup the first time, except mine happened 4 or 5 times. Problem shutting down and reading that it had been fixed maybe?

But, besides that just Adept is still bothering me a bit. I'm not sure how to configure Synaptics (Since I mostly used Adept) and so I don't know if there's a way to tell it to check for updates and alert me if there are any. Any ideas?

Cheers,
      Ash

Comment

I tried to re-create the problem this afternoon and it's working fine now
        Hard to be an OS that fixes itself, huh?

I don't know if there's a way to tell it to check for updates and alert me if there are any. Any ideas?
        If you can run Synaptic once a week or so, and merely click "Reload" after you've opened it, it will show you the updates that are available. Then you can choose "Mark All Upgrades", or else mark only the ones you want. It's pretty mindless, really.

Comment

I don't know if there's a way to tell it to check for updates and alert me if there are any. Any ideas?
          Yep aptToDate.sh

Comment

Alright, still couldn't figure it out from that site... Lol, but, I think I figured it out how to upgrade. Thanks.

Update: I Finally figured out what the crash is called. It says once and a while when I enter onto my computer that 'artsd has had a major crash'. Then it asks me if I wish to send the error report which I already have before. But, for some odd reason it doesn't happen every time I start up the computer, just once and a while.

Cheers,
            Ash

Comment

Working...
            X