X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Updates on new Gibsy install

Hello everyone,

I just installed Gutsy tribe 1 and proceeded, as usual, to update my new system.
    I noticed a strange thing though: adept, adept updater and some other adept related packages are on the to-be-removed list. Any clue why? It seems that some other packages are installed instead, but why removing adept?

Re: Updates on new Gibsy install

This happens when new versions of pre-req packages are available, and the dependancies of apps using them are no longer valid (libapt-pkg-libc6.4-6-3.53 in your case).

When I see this, I consider if the package is critical or not. If it is, I typically wait until the supporting libraries are ready.
    Specs:  Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 (@3Ghz), G.SKILL 4GB DDR2 1066, ASUS Striker II Formula MB, Asus EN9800GTX+ Dark Knight, ABS Tagan BZ800 PS, Antec 900 Case.

Comment

thats exactly right 3vi1. the debtags app (& the other apt related packages i believe, but i could be wrong, i'm going from memory) need to have their dependency on libapt-pgk-libc6 bumped.
      <br />

Comment

Understood. Thanks for your help

Comment

I didn't catch it and missed it so now I get this error when using adept. any ideals as to how to fix it?

The APT Database could not be opened! This may be caused by incorrect APT configuration or some similar problem. Try running apt-setup and apt-get update in terminal and see if it helps to resolve the problem.

doing the above does not fix it.

joey

Comment

They updated the adept packages just a while ago (today), so you should now be able to do:

sudo apt-get install adept
            And be back in business.
            Specs:&nbsp; Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 (@3Ghz), G.SKILL 4GB DDR2 1066, ASUS Striker II Formula MB, Asus EN9800GTX+ Dark Knight, ABS Tagan BZ800 PS, Antec 900 Case.

Comment

Still no go get the same error. I also get command not found when I try to do
              apt-get setup or apt-setup. I don't no if there is a way to check if APT configuration is messed up and how to fix it.

Comment

Try "sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install adept".
                Specs:&nbsp; Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 (@3Ghz), G.SKILL 4GB DDR2 1066, ASUS Striker II Formula MB, Asus EN9800GTX+ Dark Knight, ABS Tagan BZ800 PS, Antec 900 Case.

Comment

nope lol am I the only one who's not got it working maybe I uninstalled something else or the updates did.

Comment

Please post the exact error you're getting. Maybe we can figure this out yet.

Comment

running adept_manager from the konsole I get

~$ sudo adept_manager
                      Xlib: connection to ":0.0" refused by server
                      Xlib: No protocol specified

kdeinit: Can't connect to the X Server.
                      kdeinit: Might not terminate at end of session.

kded: cannot connect to X server :0.0
                      kded: ERROR: KUniqueApplication: Registering failed!
                      kded: ERROR: Communication problem with kded, it probably crashed.
                      kapture::PkgSystem::PkgSystem()

knotify: cannot connect to X server :0.0
                      ERROR: KUniqueApplication: Registering failed!
                      ERROR: Communication problem with knotify, it probably crashed.

running the gui mode I just get

The APT Database could not be opened! This may be caused by incorrect APT configuration or some similar problem. Try running apt-setup and apt-get update in terminal and see if it helps to resolve the problem.

and then it exits after clicking on the ok button.

Comment

Good news! Kind of...

It's not just you who's broken. While I had re-installed the Adept packages, I never actually use them. I mostly use apt-get, and use Synaptic when I want a GUI. Running Adept_manager, I'm seeing similar results as you.

I completely removed my cache and recreated it, and still have the error.

So, I suspect debtags or some other package is out of sync. I recommend using Synaptic or apt-get update/upgrade in the meantime, until the other packages are updated.

-J

Comment

ya since adept notify works as far as telling me I have updates I can just use Synaptic to do the updates and installs in till a fix is put out. However I am liking Synaptic anyway.

Thanks all

Comment

Yes - Synaptic definitely worth the install, even if you typically use Adept. Synaptic's a lot more stable / less prone to breakage.

I'm sure that with all the development going into Adept it will one day be my first choice when I'm looking for software, but Synaptic's still best for now.

Comment

yeah, i switched to synaptic in the feisty herd releases and have never looked back. i highly recommend synaptic over adept.
                              <br />

Comment

Working...
                              X