This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A different Internet Connection Issue

I have two computers running kubuntu gutsy, one is a desktop and the other is a laptop. The desktop is connected to my router via rj45 and the laptop connected via wireless. The laptop is dual boot vista/kubuntu. Here's the trouble I'm having:

If I connect both machines to the Internet via kubuntu, I start having Internet connection issues. Downloads will stop downloading, video streams stop, but I can still browse the Internet, for a little while anyhow. Then the connection will stop working altogether. I can connect to my router and my dsl modem, just not to the Internet. I can reset my dsl modem and the Internet connection will start working again, but soon afterward I start having the same trouble all over again. But, if I connect to the Internet from my laptop using Vista, I have no connection issues. Anyone have any ideas or has anyone else seen this issue using kubuntu?

Re: A different Internet Connection Issue

Access your router. Under it's Basic Setup, Network Setup, ensure that your DHCP Server setting is enabled and that the maximum number of DHCP Users is set, in your case, to at least two (mine is set by default to 50).
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

My router is setup as a DHCP server and it is enabled for 5 addresses. I don't think this is a network address issue since when this occurs, I can still access the other computer on the network and I can access the router and dsl modem. Further ideas would be appreciated.

Comment

From each PC, from a console, type:
        Code:
        ifconfig
        Check to see if by chance, both have the same IP address.

Comment

Good call! That was the issue. I had my laptop setup manually and the desktop was getting the same IP via dhcp. Thanks for the help!!!

Comment

Ah. Sherlock Tux comes through once again. Detail my dear Watson. One must always be observant for the detail. That's the key. 8)

Welcome to the Kubuntu Forums.

Comment

Working...
            X