X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Network Problem on first install

Hi all

am having a problem with kubuntu and eth0. Using both the live cd and live dvd the wired network is picked up just fine and internet access is granted etc etc. I then Install kubuntu from either cd or dvd and I have no network connection.

I am very green when it comes to Linux, but I have tried a manual connection, setting the correct gateway and dns ip address to no avail. I even tried wireless, which connected to my router on the 4th attempt, showed the correct ip address, but internet access just wasn't there. I tried entering the ip address for the router and it found it but was very very slow.

My ultimate aim was to get LinuxMCE installed, once I've sorted these network issues out. I haven't even begun to look at accessing the shared drives on my main windows xp box! This rather than hunt down MCE2005 or buy vista home premium.

Can anyone help please?

Re: Network Problem on first install

Kubuntu uses a program called Knetworkmanager which is suppose to connect/configure your connections with your assistance. I have found it to be quite buggy and inconsistent. Some days it connects my wireless connection just fine and other days - not so well. I have found two things that helped me solve this:

(1) Don't use the latest (default) kernel upon booting up Kubuntu. Use 2.6.20-16 Generic. It works very well for me and I get connected almost 100% of the time. Wireless or wired. You have about ten seconds to choose which kernel you want to use right before Kubuntu begins to boot up. Choose the 2.6.20-16 Generic if it is available.

(2) If you think you have setup your connection correctly and you still have not gotten a connection then try this. Select your Kmenu (blue button in bottom left-hand corner) and follow this path: Kmenu>System Settings>Network Settings. This will open your system settings window and you will see your connections grayed out. Click on "Administrator Mode" at the bottom of the screen. Enter your root password (the password you login to upon booting up Kubuntu). All your connections should now be "black" instead of gray. Click on your connection and select "Disable Interface". Wait 15 seconds. Now click on "Enable Interface" and apply settings.

Exit that window and try your internet connection. Hopefully, it will work. I have found that toggling the interface off then on again somehow kick starts it. Don't ask me why or how because I do not know. Hopefully, it will work for you.

Mike
    sudo make me rich<br /><br />Kubuntu Gutsy 7.10<br />KDE 3.5<br />Compaq Presario 5000<br />Intel Celeron 1.2 Ghz<br />512 Ram, Riva TNT2 Video Card<br />All the above hardware is 7 year old junk but<br />Linux runs great on it.&nbsp; :&gt<br />Ham Radio Rules

Comment

Number (2) worked

Now I need to find out how to fix the graphics as I was playing about in system settings, set the monitor to 16:9 (I am using a 1360x768 1:1 HDTV) then everything corrupted.

*** Edit

I managed to fix graphics!
      I pressed ctrl+alt+F1, logged in and used sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg. Bit baffling follwed most of the defaults and set supported screen resolutions and accepted a default for anything unkown.

Only thing is I need to make answer (2) a permanent fix I think

Comment

Excellent. I'm glad the solution worked for you. I'm not sure how to make it a permanent solution. Changing to an older version of the kernel worked for me. Others have uninstalled Knetworkmanager and replaced it with Wicd (pronounced "Wicked" I think) and have reported great results!

http://wicd.sourceforge.net/

Install Wicd first before uninstalling Knetworkmanager. Otherwise, you'll be without a means to connect to your network.

I've not installed Wicd as Knetworkmanager is working for me. You can find help in these forums setting it up if needed but the sourceforge page has good directions.

Mike
        sudo make me rich<br /><br />Kubuntu Gutsy 7.10<br />KDE 3.5<br />Compaq Presario 5000<br />Intel Celeron 1.2 Ghz<br />512 Ram, Riva TNT2 Video Card<br />All the above hardware is 7 year old junk but<br />Linux runs great on it.&nbsp; :&gt<br />Ham Radio Rules

Comment

Working...
        X