This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KNetwork Manager will not connect to my wireless network

I have a fairly new HTPC that I am trying to install Kubuntu on. I have a Linksys wireless card that works perfectly in Windows Vista. When I try to get it to connect to the same network in Kubuntu the connection reaches 28% complete and then stops.

I have tried setting knetwork manager to dhcp for wlan0 but this removes any connections that the card detects.

The card can connect fine to a neighbour's network.

My ESSID is hidden however there is no security on the connection.

Any thoughts?

Re: KNetwork Manager will not connect to my wireless network

Try setting up the connection manually. Otherwise, try unhiding your ESSID. Either way, why wouldn't you want encryption?
    HP dv2600: Core2 @ 2.2 GHz, 2GB RAM, GeForce-M 8400SE , Kubuntu 8.04 Hardy 32-bit<br />Gateway E4000: P4 @ 2.4GHz, 1GB RAM, Radeon 9200SE, Kubuntu 7.10 Gutsy 32-bit<br />Averatec 2200: Turion64 @ 1.8GHz, 1GB RAM, Ubuntu Server 7.10 Gutsy 64-bit

Comment

You don't say whether you connected to your neighbor's network under Linux or earlier under Vista. If it was earlier, you need to get the Linux driver for your Linksys. These are sometimes very specific by model and chip (some models use more than one chip). If that isn't the problem, check your channel number setting. Try using a security key and unhiding your ESSID.

Comment

I had exactly the same problem with my ACX100 card. The problem was in KNetworkmanager. I had to use Wlassistant; downloaded the DEB on another machine and put it on a USB stick, then installed it with Gdebi. This was back in Feisty. I believe in Gutsy there is one dependency to resolve; menu.

Originally posted by Craigels39
        Try setting up the connection manually.
        That is how I do it now in Gutsy.

System Settings > Network & Connectivity > Network Settings > Network Connections
        Under the Network Interfaces tab manually configuring WLAN0, and under the Routes tab set the default gateway to be the IP address of the router (my LinkSys is 192.168.15.1)

BTW: I also have no key and a hidden ESSID. My wireless access point is configured to allow access to specified MAC addresses only.
        Toshiba Satellite 2800 P3M Coppermine @1GHz 256MB RAM GeForce 2 GO with 16MB DDR

Comment

Originally posted by kortsen
          I had exactly the same problem with my ACX100 card. The problem was in KNetworkmanager. I had to use Wlassistant; downloaded the DEB on another machine and put it on a USB stick, then installed it with Gdebi. This was back in Feisty. I believe in Gutsy there is one dependency to resolve; menu.

Originally posted by Craigels39
          Try setting up the connection manually.
          That is how I do it now in Gutsy.

System Settings > Network & Connectivity > Network Settings > Network Connections
          Under the Network Interfaces tab manually configuring WLAN0, and under the Routes tab set the default gateway to be the IP address of the router (my LinkSys is 192.168.15.1)

BTW: I also have no key and a hidden ESSID. My wireless access point is configured to allow access to specified MAC addresses only.
          This is exactly my setup. I can connect to the neighbour's wireless under Linux as well as Windows so I know that the drivers work for this card. My suspicion is KNetwork manager as well. I have tried manually setting the route (192.168.0.1) however it still gets to 28% and then stops. Dmesg tells me that it has timed out.

I will do some more playing this weekend.

Thanks for the help guys.

Any thoughts on why KNetworkmanager might be the problem?

Comment

I don't think it is necessarily Knetmgr's fault. I have 2 machines that were working flawlessly on Gutsy, one with an AX111 chipset, the other with an rt61, and ever since the upgrade from kernel 2.6.24-3 to 2.6.24-8 and newer I have been unable to use wireless, no matter if No security, WEP, or WPA. I suspect something changed in the kernel itself is preventing knetmgr from working properly. I have also noticed, that with the new kernel, if I do reconfigure for WEP or No security and try to connect, the connect bubble disappears and I get the message that Knetworkmanager is not running.

I posted a bug and its listed as fixed, but I don't think so...
            https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...24/+bug/134660

Comment

Working...
            X