X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ethernet Routers v USB Modems

Ethernet Routers versus USB Modems

If you have a broadband connection and use a USB modem to connect with, the risks are much greater than if you use an Ethernet router. Unfortunately, most people do use USB modems as they are cheaper to buy, and many ISP's even give them away free to new customers.

So what's the difference? Well with a USB modem your computer is directly connected to the Internet and can be seen by ' port scanners' looking for vulnerable PCs to attack. Unless you have a Firewall for protection then your PC is wide open and will soon become infected with different pieces of malicious software.

Routers on the other hand give increased security as they use NAT (Network Address Translation). With NAT your computer connects only to the router, and it is the router that connects to the Internet, hiding your PC and acting as a buffer. Most routers (including those supplied by The Phone Co-op) also come with a built-in firewall, providing extra security.

Routers also take the load off your PC, give a faster connection in certain instances, and can have more than one port or socket, allowing you to share the Internet connection between more than one computer or other device. All-in-all they are a much better option.

Antony Perkin

http://internetsecurity4free.com
    Attached Files
    Network of two Dell Optiplex dual boot Pentium 4s, Linux user since 1999 Very Happy with Kubuntu and Mandriva. Three other native&nbsp; computers. Computers in my blood since 1975.<br /><br />A Perkin Web Design and computer hardware engineer

Re: Ethernet Routers v USB Modems

To add a little bit to this...

A computer connected directly to the modem via Ethernet will generally be susceptible to the same vulnerabilities as a PC connected directly to the modem via USB.

Any difference in speed between USB and Ethernet most likely can be attributed to the increased CPU overhead that is involved with transferring data via USB that does not exist with Ethernet.

I do fully agree that in almost all cases, users should have a router between their cable or DSL modem and their computer, even if they do not have more than one PC using that internet connection.

-SF

Comment

Re: Ethernet Routers v USB Modems

Thanks for your comment, and yes I have a broadband router with a NAT firewall.

Antkin
      Network of two Dell Optiplex dual boot Pentium 4s, Linux user since 1999 Very Happy with Kubuntu and Mandriva. Three other native&nbsp; computers. Computers in my blood since 1975.<br /><br />A Perkin Web Design and computer hardware engineer

Comment

Working...
      X