Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Auto-mounting shares from /etc/fstab not working?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Auto-mounting shares from /etc/fstab not working?

Hello,
    I set up a NAS file server to share some folders on my home network.
    I can access the shares without problems from smb4k.
    But I would like at least one of those shares (the "public" folder) to automount at boot. So I put the line

Code:
    //192.168.1.1/public  /home/cristian/smb4k/NAS/public/ smbfs credentials=/root/.smbcredentials,dmask=777,fmask=777 0  0
    in my /etc/fstab. But on boot, it doesn't get mounted. If I type

Code:
    sudo mount -a
    it gets mounted.
    Why doesn't Kubuntu mount it at boot?

Thanks
    Cristian

Re: Auto-mounting shares from /etc/fstab not working?

you need to add the _netfs option to your entry in fstab. the mounting of filesystems happens before the network is up and running. the _netfs option will tell the system to mount this after the network is started....

Comment

Same problem here with using a HP Media Vault. I included all the proper mount directions in the /etc/fstab file but I have to manually type "mount -a" at boot up to make them mount.

So, when you said

"you need to add the _netfs option to your entry in fstab. the mounting..." where is that option inserted?

For example, here is a line from my fstab that mounts a share located on my network (NAS).
      hpmediavault:/shares/Volume1/FileShare /mnt/mediavault/FileShare nfs defaults 0 0

Based on your instructions, would I need to change this to
      hpmediavault:/shares/Volume1/FileShare /mnt/mediavault/FileShare nfs defaults _netfs 0 0? Do I include the underscore as well?

Thanks
      sudo make me rich<br /><br />Kubuntu Gutsy 7.10<br />KDE 3.5<br />Compaq Presario 5000<br />Intel Celeron 1.2 Ghz<br />512 Ram, Riva TNT2 Video Card<br />All the above hardware is 7 year old junk but<br />Linux runs great on it.&nbsp; :&gt<br />Ham Radio Rules

Comment

yust a teory .... maybe smbd and nmbd ( samba daemons) simply did not started at the time linux triied to mount it.

there shoulld be a workaround:

edit /etc/rc.local and add "mount -a"

this way, after linux booted , as last action will try to remount all. ;-)

Comment

Working...
        X