X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

X Server Startup Interrupts Network

Hi!

I'm currently trying out kubuntu 7.10. With my playground laptop, I am seeing a funny problem:

I use another computer to send pings to the laptop. When I start the computer, it replies normally. However, the laptop becomes unreachable when I start an X server either by issuing 'startx' or by '/etc/init.d/kdm start' from the default runlevel 2, from which I removed the /etc/rc2.d/ link to the kdm service. Both the WLAN and the LAN are affected. The LAN actually crashes the entire system when I bring it up and the issue 'startx'.
    I tried to exclude modules from the list of possible error sources, so I loaded all modules which show up with 'lsmod' after startx, but not before. However, doing a 'modprobe <module>' of these modules does not crash the network service.
    So I don't know how to further close in to the problem. The /var/log/messages file does not seem to provide anything useful...

I hope you can help me with this.

Greets
    Jetjockey

Re: X Server Startup Interrupts Network

Hi Jetjockey
    I faced a similar problem.
    My network interface is running properly at the beginning and I can even work for hour's, but if I leave the PC for a while and if the screensaver starts, then I lost interface configuration after login.

When this happend I got the following messages in /etc/messages:
    Code:
    Feb 18 20:19:15 testkubuntu kernel: [25316.430310] NETDEV WATCHDOG: eth0: transmit timed out
    Feb 18 20:19:15 testkubuntu kernel: [25316.430462] eth0: Transmit timed out, status 0003, PHY status 786d, resetting...
    Feb 18 20:19:15 testkubuntu kernel: [25316.431099] eth0: link up, 100Mbps, full-duplex, lpa 0x45E1
    Restarting the /etc/initd/network or restarting the interface with ifconifg does not help at all. The only solution so far is rebooting the system.
    I stopped once kdm with 'sudo /etc/init.d/kdm stop' and left the system for a long time and recognized, that the interface and the whole network configuration remains stable and does not break down.

I do not know how to proceed at the moment, but so far as I know it should be possible to use xdm or gdm instead of kdm, just for a test. Unfortunately I am too busy for the moment and this has to wait until next weekend.

My HW:
    Motherboard: Asus P5VD2-MX SE
    Onboard Network Interface: Realtek RTL8201CL

Comment

Hello

It makes no difference if you use xdm instead of kdm.
      I will try to analyse ACPI again, but have not much know how about it. So I have to read first all the manuals.

Comment

Hi
        I could solve the problem. It is caused by acpi.
        I wrote pci=noacpi in the /boot/grub/menu.lst and now it works:

Code:
        title      Ubuntu 7.10, kernel 2.6.22-14-generic
        root      (hd0,0)
        kernel     /vmlinuz-2.6.22-14-generic root=UUID=6a0ae2ec-ac07-467c-be0d-374229b62510 ro quiet pci=noacpi
        initrd     /initrd.img-2.6.22-14-generic
        quiet
        Further possibilities of acpi setup is available here:
        http://www.lesswatts.org/projects/acpi/debug.php

Regards Heinzi

Comment

Working...
        X